Have we reached the height of 'no competition' price hike?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Barron

Have we reached the height of 'no competition' price hike?

Post by Barron » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 am

Believe it or not, the RTX 2080 Ti in my country costs $1600 USD, in the cheapest store!

I believe this is the result of AMD's incompetence to put forth any kind of worthwhile competition, while Intel is still years ahead of manufacturing their first discrete mainstream GPU chip.

Also, considering this is a noise-oriented website, I have always considered the noise output my primary concern, as other differences in graphics cards are quite negligible.

According to this extensive list of all the RTX 2080, would you say that the Asus ROG Strix would be the quietest one?
I think this was the case with previous iterations as well.

Furthermore, not to beleaguer the point, is there some kind of aggregate website that focuses on listing all the hardware/GPU giveaway? This card is so expensive that this method might be my only chance of getting it.

Olle P

Re: Have we reached the height of 'no competition' price hik

Post by Olle P » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:41 am

I don't really see what you're getting at...?
The type of hardware you list is either affordable (at about any price) or irrelevant to you. The cost of the graphics card is only a small portion of the total cost of the rig it's to be mounted inside.
The RTX 2080 FE is the quietest, once you replace the stock cooler with a ~$150 water cooling plate and add it to your ~$400 water cooling loop.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:04 am

The Strix with the dual bios seems to be the quietest (as long as you select the quiet bios). Good luck getting one though, i havent even seen them on pre order.

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:50 pm

10-series cards are dropping in price though, and some of AMD's cards (like the RX 580) have dropped down to reasonable levels.

The current RTX 20-series cards are a poor performance to value, considering they're an incremental upgrade, but consumers don't have to buy the very highest end product nor do they always need to buy the very most recent product. The price increase is for a niche of buyers who are willing to pay the most money for.

AMD's lack of a major GPU release in the past year is not due to incompetence, but due to the fact that they are competing against both Intel (in CPU industry) and NVidia at the same time. AMD decided to focus its resources on their Ryzen CPU's rather than spread themselves thin.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:20 am

Derek Semeraro wrote:The current RTX 20-series cards are a poor performance to value, ...
Most of them are, but now there are at least a few somewhat reasonably priced RTX 2070.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 am

Honestly im astonish into how fast $1200+ GPU go on preorders, like people don't care, they just want the fastest no matter the cost. Although i do feel the market is small, wasn't as small as i expected, and this is bad for us, no matter if there is competition or not, as AMD and probably intel will see they can sell $1000+ GPUs, thats if they can put a competitive GPU, they will simply undercut slightly.

Even now you can see that intel dont care much, we see the i9 9900K about to launch, given that yes its faster.... around 12% on average over the 2700x, but it will be sold 66% higher... i bet we will see Extreme edition GPUs form intel going into $2k.

Honestly i think we are pretty screwed, yes there will always be affordable gpus, like gtx1050ti or RX570, but to go high end now its going to be really expensive, and we have Nvidia to thank up and the market that accepts it, jacking the pricing for the last 3 gens.

I honestly don't think competition will change much, probably will draw pricing a little, but the $1k+ GPUs are here to stay.