Passive cooling Voodoo 5

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jeff

Passive cooling Voodoo 5

Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:27 pm

I have a Voodoo 5 card that i would like to passively cool. I don't really want to pay the money for a new video card because i don't really need a better/faster card. The stock little fans scream and whine and chatter and make any other kind of noise you can think of. I found online where someone appears to have used two zalman northbridge coolers, one on each of the processors, but i don't speak whatever language it is in (german??) so i don't know what there result was... http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/lis ... ges/808893 Do you think that using those would keep this card sufficiently cool. If not would the larger zalman northbridge cooler work? Also it appears that the mounting arms and bolts line up with the holes on the voodoo card...can anyone confirm this or will i have to glue it on?

Thanks.

sneaker

Post by sneaker » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:59 pm

Looking at pics of the Voodoo5, the fans are a standard form factor screwed atop the heatsinks, so the easiest option would be to get a pair of quieter fans (e.g. Papsts) the same width and height, screw them on with the existing screws, and plug them into the PSU or motherboard headers.

Anyway, that's the easy option to get rid of the screamers, but might not be quiet enough long-term... so stick with the passive option if virtual silence is your goal :)