Asus A7N8X motherboard and Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lawgiver

Asus A7N8X motherboard and Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer?

Post by Lawgiver » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:22 am

...And the quest for quiet graphics card continues...

My latest plan is to get that HIS IceQ Radeon 9800 Pro card with preinstalled Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer. I don't mind the cooler taking an extra slot, but the problem is that Asus has decided to place two CD Audio connectors next to the PCI slot under the AGP slot. These connectors will be covered by VGA Silencer, the Silencer being as wide it seems to be, it's a close call wether or not there is enough room to connect the audio cables to the connectors. (Front panel audio connectors will also be behind cover, but I can live without them).

It seems to me that right sort of CD audio cable can just fit between the connector on the motherboard and the VGA Silencer, but I'd like to hear comments from those who have both the mobo and Silencer.

ps. Of course I wouldn't have to worry with this with a Zalman passive cooler, but I'd like to get hasle free solution out of box if possible, and Sapphire's Ultimate edition cards have had continius postponings on their delivery dates here in Finland. Also, HIS IceQ is available for 299 euros, which sounds like a good deal to me.

pps. To add an insult to my injury, my Sonata case has an empty opening above the AGP slot. :roll:

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:25 pm

Lawgiver,

Check out my previous post at:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10402

On my ASUS A7N8X deluxe the two CD Audio connectors are near PCI slots 4 and 5 not near PCI slots 1 or 2. I didn't have problems with any of the motherboard connectors and the VGA Silencer. I did have other problems with the Antec Sonata, ASUS A7N8X, 9800Pro and VGA Silencer combination as stated in my previous post though.

Lawgiver

Post by Lawgiver » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:16 pm

You wrote in the other thread that you ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe. Mine is without the letter 'E'. Now, I've been told elsewhere the cd-audio connectors are useless anyway - just switch on digital audio from CD/DVD drive proberties.

Still, I do have some componets that may touch the speed switch of Silencer, so thank you very much for the link. It's very useful.