Water Cooling GPU

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

exeter_acres

Water Cooling GPU

Post by exeter_acres » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:13 am

OK.... just need some opinions Please.....

I recently upgraded to an ATI 9600xt and you all are right..
The Fan is awful....
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Now..
I am still deciding between a VGA silencer (Naw, never been discussed here! :)) or a Zalman...

But... currently I am water cooling my CPU (and love and recommend it...)

should I watercool my GPU... I am not looking for a vid overclock (but it would be nice...) more good cooling with little to no sound...

would the work be worth it or should I just stick with one of the air solutions...

Opinions?
Thanks

1911user

Post by 1911user » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:44 am

Add the GPU block; one less buzzy fan and far better cooling. With a 9600XT though, you're not generating that much heat (compared to a 9700 or 9800) so a VGA silencer on low would probably work well also.

The only downside to watercooling the GPU (especially with 1/2 ID tubing) is the tubing bends are tight around the card. I use copper elbows when the tubing won't bend tight enough without collapsing. I make them by soldering two 45 degree copper fittings together. They restrict flow less than 1 hard 90 degree turn.

The real question is "Do want to w/c it?"

exeter_acres

Post by exeter_acres » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:13 pm

I think from an ease stand point I'll wait for the rev 3 VGA silencer...

good idea about the copper elbows... I have a couple tight turns and that was my concern....

I use 1/2"ID 5/8" OD tubing so it won't kink, but it is a bit more dificult to work with... I was worried about the pressure on the vid card.....

thanks for the input...

1911user

Post by 1911user » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:04 pm

exeter_acres wrote:I use 1/2"ID 5/8" OD tubing so it won't kink, but it is a bit more dificult to work with... I was worried about the pressure on the vid card......
1/16 wall tubing kinks/collapses easier than 1/8 inch. That is the reason people recommend 1/2 ID 3/4 OD for performance watercooling. The thicker sidewall allows enough pressure to force 1/2ID tubing over 5/8OD (or larger :shock:) barbs and fittings.

Here is a method to keep tubing from kinking at it's specified bend radius. A link to my original post: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php? ... ght=tubing
This is from the overclockers.com forum (I'm gungeek there). If linking to other forums is taboo, please edit as needed.

1911user

Post by 1911user » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:48 pm

Update:

I am now recommending the VGA silencer over w/c the gpu unless you are planning insane overclocking of the gpu.
I rebuilt my water system this weekend. Getting all of the 3/4 OD tubing and the (huge!) Ehiem 1250 pump to fit was a big challenge inside the SLK3700 case. It would have been much easier without the gpu waterblock.
If I have to take the setup apart (again), I'll probably sell the gpu waterblock and save future frustration. Switching to 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tubing would also help the routing.
Last edited by 1911user on Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:39 am

If you look at the problems people have had with VGA cooler fan starting to buzz (and the fact that it is not replaceable), I'd recommend against VGA cooler.

It may be nice now, but what if your unit starts to buzz in two months? Dismantle, throw away and buy another?

w/c GPU blocks don't wear out.

dis

Post by dis » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:45 pm

I'll second that, initially i loved the VGA Silencer but the sub standard fan has spoiled what was a very nice product. I'm now looking at buying a new card evey couple of months, doing a custom fan mod on it or going for a waterblock.

The block seems like the best option but i'd bet good money that it'll raise my temps just enough to force my to upgrade or add another fan to my rad :-(

1911user

Post by 1911user » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:00 pm

dis wrote:The block seems like the best option but i'd bet good money that it'll raise my temps just enough to force my to upgrade or add another fan to my rad :-(

I didn't see a noticable temp rise on the cpu after adding a gpu waterblock to my system. Check this thread for setup and temp details: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11584

I run one 120mm fan on a chevette heatercore and have a good shroud (not the one shown in the pictures, it's now 2 inches deep and larger) to make the most of it. I'd add another rad/single fan combo before putting 2 fans (with shrouds) on a single radiator; it would be more effective IMHO.