It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Video Card Help
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:58 am 
Friend of SPCR

Did I join that exclusive club of people that have fried their video cards by putting aftermarket cooler on?

I installed a Zalman VF 700cu on my X800XT last night and immediately I noticed my temps went down approx 10 degrees... so I knew it was installed properly. I also checked the temps under load and they were fine... 55 degrees.

However I loaded up World of Warcraft and I started getting a jerkiness to the game that wasnt there before... and it seems to be getting worse. It looked like it was skipping frames every 3-5 seconds or something. I loaded up 3d mark and Doom 3 but didnt really notice any problems there. Also I have not noticed any texturing issues or any other graphical abnormalities.

So I went ahead and removed the HS and rechecked my installation. I cleaned up a little bit of excess thermal paste with some Q tips and reinstalled. Same thing still happening....maybe worse though. Like I said... it looks like a brief pause in the game every few seconds.

I guess my next step is to install an older card I have laying around and see if I am still experiencing the issue.

If anyone has ever experienced an issue like this or has any advice it will be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:16 pm 

It's a sad little club. But, you are welcome to join us. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:12 pm 

Is the card OC'ed?

If you run RivaTuner, it has a window where it displays a graphic with temperatures over time.

Also everytime the games skip, do you notice the hard drive light blink at the same time?

Some specs on your machine may help us try to figure out the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:59 am 
Friend of SPCR

I think my problems may have just been related to that specific game and I over reacted. I reinstalled and everything seems better now. Also I tested some more games including Far Cry and Half Life 2 with no probs.

I guess it was just a coincidence that the game started acting up on me the same day as I swapped Video Card heatsinks..... but thats the kind of coincidence I can do without.

Kind of panicked when I thought I FUBARD my $500 videocard.

I appreciate the responses to my false alarm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:42 pm 

What temps do you get when you GPU is underload with the Zalman at 5v and 12v?

Silverstone Fortress FT01B-W, Corsair HX620W, Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE, Thermalright HR-01X (w/ S Clip), OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum AMD Edition (OCZ3P1600LVAM4GK), Sapphire 4890 Toxic, OCZ Vertex 60GB (System) & WD Caviar Green 1TB & RE 2TB (Media), Plextor DVD±RW (PX-760A), 7.1 WEI