ZM80-HP or AC VGA Silencer?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PhilC

ZM80-HP or AC VGA Silencer?

Post by PhilC » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:00 am

Hi All,
This is my first post on this forum, but have been lurking for a few weeks. I have read most of the posts on the ZM80-HP and the AC VGA Silencer, but have not seen one concerning anyone that had a ATI 9600 PRO. I know this card does not put out the heat like a 9800 does and I'm wondering if the Zalman without the opt-1 fan would be ok. Since I up graded my case to a Sonata fron a Lian Li PC-60 all is much quieter to the point of hearing the 9600 screaming little fan, yes even louder than the two Raptors. I know if I go with the Silencer I'll need Rev.3. If anyone has used either one of these on a 9600Pro I would appreciate thier advise.
Thanks
PhilC

Torian

Re: ZM80-HP or AC VGA Silencer?

Post by Torian » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:59 am

PhilC wrote:... and I'm wondering if the Zalman without the opt-1 fan would be ok. ... If anyone has used either one of these on a 9600Pro I would appreciate thier advise.
You need no aktive cooling for a 9600Pro.

I have recently silenced my 9600XT (bit faster than Pro) using a Termaltake Giant 3. The Giant 3 is similiar to the Zalman but it has two heat-pipes and is always shipped with a fan. You can regulate the fan (Low/Normal/High) but i have switched it off. The CPU-fan runs a bit faster now (idle: 350rpm faster) but the PSU-Fan is louder. I have no case-fan, only one for my CPU and one in my PSU.

AMD 2600+, IDLE: 51°C according to Asus Probe
Case: Antec Sonata

I have no problem playing games for some hours so the system is totaly stable.

Torian

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:57 am

Thanks for sharing that information about the 9600XT and Pro.

And by the way, to both of the above, welcome to our forums. :)

8)