9800XT + Zalman ZM80C

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thatguyX

9800XT + Zalman ZM80C

Post by thatguyX » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:11 pm

well I just installed it as of an hour ago. My idle temps have gone from 70C to 63C. During a good 30 minutes of gaming the card didnt go past 72C. I'm still testing it but everything seems good. I also added some ramsinks on the cards memory to help cool, and the optional fan is in teh case at 5V. This setup is much cooler than the stock ATI radeon cooling setup. The heatsink is hot on both sides, I hope that's how it's supposed to be. So far the only down side is that the case temp has gone up 2C. I'm going to try to fix this by cutting my Sonata a bit to get better airflow.

I guess I'll update in a week or so on how the Zalman is performing. BTW I heard there's gonna be a Zalman ZM80D, which is a dual heatpipe that comes with fitted heatsinks.

update: well everything is holding up no crashes, moderate gaming... gpu temps are lower than before by 7C. Only the case temp went up 2C, not enough for the PSU to make too much noise. All in all Zalman ZM80C plus a few copper ram sinks (5mm tall) work great for my ATI Radeon 9800XT and it's a lot quieter.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:58 am

im glad to hear of your grat experience with the 9800xt. im thinking of putting a zalman of vga cooler on m 9700 pro, too bad i cant measure it's temp with a program, and i dont haev/dont know how to use the probe