ZM-OP1 Airflow Direction?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Goatbert

ZM-OP1 Airflow Direction?

Post by Goatbert » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:47 am

Greetings. First time posted, long time lurker, so I hope I get this right! :twisted:

In the past couple of days I installed a ZM80C with a ZM-OP1 on my Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB. I am very, very happy with the level of noise coming from my system now with all the changes I've made in the past few weeks, but am curious about this last thing I did.

By default it seems the ZM-OP1 blows air over the GPU/heatsink. Since the heatsink is on its side, my assumption is that without help all the heat is either going to bottle up in the area "under" the GPU side of the card or be released through the back of it. My question is, is it best to force cooler air over the GPU/heatsink or to remove the hotter air by forcing it out and up the side of the case? I know with CPUs and power supplies you want to remove the hot air, but with the way the ZM-OP1 mounts and the way the video card sits I'm not sure which is better.

Also, it seems as a side effect of installing the ZM-OP1 and ZM80C combo that my idle CPU temperature has gone up about 2 degrees Celcius - from 35/36c to 37/38c. However, under load the temperature (53c) doesn't seem to have changed. Are these temps ok for a 2.4c?

Sorry for all these questions, the months of lurking built up quite a few!

Thanks,
-Jeff

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:16 pm

Hi Goatbert, welcome to the SPCR forums!

If you want to reverse the fan so that it sucks air from the card you will have to make some kind of shroud; otherwise, a lot of the air will be drawn in from the edges of the fan, which will lessen its performance.

I don't have a Pentium, so I can't say much about the temps. I *think* they should be allright, but let's hope someone else can help you.