Geforce undervolting

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nannygoat

Geforce undervolting

Post by nannygoat » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:01 pm

I'm supposed to be studying for exams right now, so part of me hopes no one will have a solution to this...
I have an old ELSA (remember them?) Geforce 2 Ultra. It's past it as far as performing in modern games goes, so I want to (drastically) undervolt it and run it with a very low CFM fan. Has anyone tried this with a GF2? I saw the same thing done with a GF3 on SPR...
As an aside, I connected the L5 bridges on my Barton 2500+ so now CPUmsr says I have an Athlon XP-M MP. Unfortunately, when I try to implement powernow! the system hangs. I know nForce 2 doesn't support powernow!, but is there anyway else I can change multiplier? I've tried the BIOS, it doesn't work.
I have an Asus A7N8X-X - cheapo motherboard.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:15 pm

I don't know anything about Geforce cooling, so I can't tell you anything about that.

But connecting the L5 bridge does NOT turn your processor into an XP-M. It fools it into thinking that it's an AthlonMP, which are the processors that are capable of Multiprocessing. In other words, connecting the L5 bridge was what I did so that I could get a dual Athlon XP system. It's not clear how different the MPs were from the XPs aside from this. But your processor is not an XP-M nor is there anyway to take advantage of PowerNow! with it.

I think there is a way to change the multiplier setting via bridge connecting/cutting, but I don't think it can be done while the system is running.

BTW, WELCOME TO SPCR

shathal

Post by shathal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:27 pm

As it happens, I have an Elsa Geforce 2 Ultra as well.

Weird thing is, mine's got a passive heatsink ....?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:58 pm

It fools it into thinking that it's an AthlonMP, which are the processors that are capable of Multiprocessing. In other words, connecting the L5 bridge was what I did so that I could get a dual Athlon XP system.
Connecting L5 also unlocks the multipliers, so you're both right.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multi ... iplier.htm

nannygoat

Post by nannygoat » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:33 pm

Thanks sthayashi, I knew I shouldn't have left that question in about multiplier unlocking... I connected one bridge with pencil, realised it was the wrong one as the CPU was recognised as an athlon MP, so ripped off the heatsink and connected the next bridge along, which unlocked the powernow! features in both CrystalCPUid (http://crystalmark.info/) and CPUmsr (www.cpuheat.wz.cz) which suggests that at least these programs now think I have an XP-M. Really all I'm trying to do is undervolt my barton, which my crappy asus a7n8x-x won't allow (1.65V minimum).
The heatsink on my GF2-U was passive too, at least after I removed the fan. I had to replace it last week after a quick 'burning thumb' test followed by a temp. measurement indicated the card was at about 70C...