Powercolor ATI Radeon 8600XT Ultra: How to Make Fanless?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wmartins

Powercolor ATI Radeon 8600XT Ultra: How to Make Fanless?

Post by wmartins » Fri May 21, 2004 8:26 pm

Oh Great Silent Ones,

I am considering the purchase of the Powercolor ATI Radeon 860XT Ultra, such as provided by Newegg, but I'm wondering if anyone here has an opinion if this card can be made fanless. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has actually done this.

I've heard the fan is relatively quiet on this card, but before purchasing I'd like to know if it could easily be made fanless, or otherwise quieted even more.

Please respond asap if you have input at all, because I'd like to make my video card purchase very soon.

Thanks!

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Sat May 22, 2004 3:19 am

First off, it's 9600XT nothing ells:)

Second I would like you to define "easily". If you define it in any way so that a Zalman ZM80C is excluded then I don't think so. But The Zalman is more than enough to cool that card. I have a 9600PRO with the Zalman HS and I think that the heat output is so low that the phasechange action hasn't really kicked in....

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sat May 22, 2004 10:15 pm

You could also go for the Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Ultimate Edition, which comes with the Zalman cooler preinstalled. It's probably a little more expensive than buying the cheapest 9600XT you can find plus the ZM80C, but if you want easy, it's the card for you.