noisy moniter...

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hwsboss

noisy moniter...

Post by hwsboss » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:20 pm

my monitor makes a rapid clicking sounds when it is on......cant muffle it as it would trap heat...any ideas what to do?

greeef

Post by greeef » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:57 pm

number 1 - understand the risks of opening up a monitor (very high voltages, risk of death)

number 2 - figure out which component is noisy once you have the case off. You might need a cardboard tube or something to identify which one makes a racket. Hopefully it'll be an old tranny or choke or something, then just douse it in epoxy

griff

Dos_Junkie

Post by Dos_Junkie » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:17 pm

two ideas:

open it up and risk death (capacitors=fun shockguns :D )
buy a new monitor if it's not a high-quality one you're replacing.

-->officemax had a special not to long ago on a 19" 1280x1200 native res for under $150

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:10 pm

Try randomly tampering with the settings, maybe something will work.

If you were to replace it, you might as well try muffling it anyway, unless you want to try to sell it.

greeef

Post by greeef » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:13 am

twisted mods did a guide on windowing monitors and adding quiet fans. Maybe it could be twisted to a silencing slant?

griff

JazzJackRabbit

Re: noisy moniter...

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:21 pm

hwsboss wrote:my monitor makes a rapid clicking sounds when it is on......cant muffle it as it would trap heat...any ideas what to do?
Unless those clicking sounds have a distinct pattern, it looks to me like your monitor is dying...

Morpheusman

Post by Morpheusman » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:41 am

CRT monitors do make some noise, so unless the noise is really loud there may not be anything wrong with your monitor.

The monitors I have make a distinct rapid clicking noise that can't be heard over the sound of a normal computer (unless you stick your ear up to it). However, in quiet room with a quiet computer the noise from a normal monitor can be anoying. My solution was to buy an LCD.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:41 pm

Morpheusman wrote:CRT monitors do make some noise, so unless the noise is really loud there may not be anything wrong with your monitor.

The monitors I have make a distinct rapid clicking noise that can't be heard over the sound of a normal computer (unless you stick your ear up to it). However, in quiet room with a quiet computer the noise from a normal monitor can be anoying. My solution was to buy an LCD.
It's OK for a CRT monitor to produce buzz or a low hum, however when it starts clicking it usually means it's dying.

hwsboss

Post by hwsboss » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:34 pm

sorry for not replying, somehow lost this thread

the noise is a sort of clicking/buzzing, sort of humming...

the noise has been there for years, just did not care until my pc was quietened

I think I am too much of a clumsy noob to mod the thing though.