GForce3 (Asus 8200), Run with no fan?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cerestes

GForce3 (Asus 8200), Run with no fan?

Post by Cerestes » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:40 am

Are there any programs similar to Prime95 that test graphic stability?

I have an older pc (wifes) that I'm trying to quiet as much as possible for as little as possible.

It has an older video card, 64mb GF3, Asus 8200 if i remember right.
Has a seemingly large (3"x3"?) heatsink, though its only a CM or so tall and on one side of the card. The heatsink has an annoying small fan, which looks like it'd be an easy disconnect.

I mean, I can fire up a video game and play until I figure out if it overheats / locks up, but I'd like to see just how stable the card would be if I disconnected the fan. But i'd like to know the card is GOING to overheat before it does, ya know? Don't want to damage it trying to nix one stupid fan.

Thanks!

Sardaan

Post by Sardaan » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:57 pm

I have a leadtek ti4400, I unpluged both fans on the heat sink and the card over heated (everything locked up). I tried running with one fan and everything still locked up, I now have both fans plugged in again. I would say your are not going to do any damage to your wife's card, based on my experiences.

mrybczyn

Post by mrybczyn » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:50 am

I've got a GF3 Ti200 - 128mb, with the big 3x3 heatsink, and the tiny little fan. I took the fan off, and after a bit of under-clocking, it runs stable. It runs very hot, but no problems with lockups or artifacts.

There is an article on under-volting a GForce 2 or 3, thats what I'm trying next to cool this beast down.

Cheers,
Mitch