Prepping for X800XT

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Prepping for X800XT

Post by acaurora » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:27 pm

Now I've heard around, that the Radeon X800XT produces less heat than the 9800XT. Is this correct? I have a Radeon 9800 XT from ASUS right now, and can tell you right now, this baby runs pretty hot.

Temps right now:

Case: 43
CPU: 47
Maxtor: 45
Seagate: 39
9800XT: a toasty 58

I wanted a pretty quiet computer, and keeping my GPU sizzling was the only way. I have the SmartDoctor utility installed, which controls fan speed according to temperature. The settings I have currently are:
Temp to go to FASTEST speed: 70
Temp to go to FAST speed: 65
Temp to go to MEDIUM speed: 60
Temp to go to SLOW speed: 55

The default settings are, respectively, 40/35/30/25. Personally I think those are way too low, such that the dual fans would run @ full speed all the time. I've left my computer on overnight with the fans @ 100% (trust me, i lost some sleep that night =[), and when I woke up to the racket of those fans, it was @ 50 C. This is WITH the cold air of the night + full blast of fans. So what is the point of leaving it on @ those low parameters? Beats me.

Anyways, back to my main point. I'm preparing for the arrival of my X800XT, which, i preordered (and burned a large hole in my wallet). I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions to reduce my temperatures and improve my cooling. My PC's pics can be viewed here:
http://home.comcast.net/~acaurora/pics/default.htm
and specs are in my sig. If any of you could help out with suggestiosn to improve airflow, reduce temperatures, and still maintain a DECENT level of silence, please let me know. Otherwise, I may just wait for Sapphire to release their X800XT Ultimate, which, according to an email i recieved, won't be until July/August.

Thanks again.