best card for media center/doom3

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kalel83

best card for media center/doom3

Post by Kalel83 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:16 pm

I somehow managed to get my father to buy me a new graphics card for cad programs and i want to make the most out of it,

I want to use windows media center so it has to support that (yes, i know you can't buy the os in the store..)

and i want to play doom3 when it comes out

i have agp8x,

wish i had pcx but i don't, if someone thinks i should wait then i'll take that advice, but keep in mind i'm using a pci geforce 2 right now, can't do anything with it except read email.

also silent,, i'm building acase right now and don't want anything that is going to emulate a gas weed blower

thanks

-paul

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:40 pm

Urm - OK, so here's your problems.

1 - PCI-X is actually PCI (Just faster bus - more bits, more MHz - 100/64 and 133/64 sometimes), not PCI-Express (PCI-E).

2 - Doom 3 is pretty much (everyone will agree, I'm sure) a "killer" as far as hardware will be concerned. So - ideally - you want to look at the top end. ATI 800XT or NVIDIA 6800 Ultra.

3 - As far as I know, for high-resolution stuff and the graphically aware, ATI has better image quality than NVIDIA "rule of thumb" type thing.

4 - QUIET versions of the 800XT are what we're hoping for - Sapphire "TOXIC" line is supposed to be quiet, as is a Hitech-variant that's supposed to come out. No guarantees yet.

As far as NVIDIA is concerned - I'm only aware that the new rev of the VGA-cooler is supposed to be NVIDIA compatible now, so ... all a case of "will see".

You will have to compromise - ultimately. Gaming cards are NOT really for high-end graphics work like it sounds you're doing. Decide on what you can live with, I'd say.

Hope this helps.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:26 pm

Everything shathal said sounds pretty accurate. The best CAD cards are not also 3D accelerators like we have for gaming (if I'm mistaken, somebody will correct me).

But for playing Doom3, you'll need a strong card - can't say how strong yet but we'll know soon. If I were you, I would wait till the game is out and get "the word on the street".

Kalel83

Post by Kalel83 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:27 am

ok, that was the advice i was considering, wait untill you know. I just have the need for something now, i'll find some new temporary hobby, mod something perhaps