Pics of my Zalman ZM80 install

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Edwood

Pics of my Zalman ZM80 install

Post by Edwood » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:35 pm

Dear lord this thing is huuuuuge!
I was really worried that the RAM would get in the way, as it seems most Mobo's have their RAM slots in the way of the AGP card.
I used the scientific method of touching the heatsink when running a game for awhile. It gets pretty warm, but not hot. Not very cool either.
I have the Asus P4S8X mobo. The vid card is an MSI 64MB GF4 Ti4200.

I'm definitely removing that card if I transport the computer.

-Ed

Jolt

Post by Jolt » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:13 pm

How well does it work?
Could you post some temp measurements perhaps?

Looks like a heavy beast ;)

DarkLord

Re: Pics of my Zalman ZM80 install

Post by DarkLord » Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:49 pm

Edwood wrote: I'm definitely removing that card if I transport the computer.
This is why i don't think of buying this anymore. i will get a special 'larger-than-usual'(for a graphics cooler) heatsink with a 60*60 Papst Fan at 5V... should be inaudible, cool better and costs less money. And (most importantly) does not need to be removed before transport.

Don't get me wrong, if my system was completely stationary i would still think of getting the Zalman ZM-80, jsut to be sure to remove *any* movement from my graphics card.

fooliosfolly

Post by fooliosfolly » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:55 am

Mine gets extremely hot on my GFTi4400 when running 3DMark 2001, so hot that it locks up. :evil:

Had to use a Panaflo 80mm fan to cool it. It then ran without incident and it was only warm to the touch. Still, not quiet enough. :(

I also tried a GF4Ti4200 and it was hot but didn't crash. The brand was PNY so no software or hardware chip to monitor temperature but it seemed at least as hot as a P4 2+ GHz heatsink gets when you disconnect the CPU fan.

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:25 pm

fooliosfolly-

If your GF4Ti 4400 locks up with the ZM80, I can only wonder how Sapphire can safely put one on a Radeon 9700.

Are you sure you have the ZM-80 installed properly? The instructions seem very particular about how it gets attached. Also, what kind of airflow is in the case (besides the Panaflo you didn't want to add)? What are your case temps? Also, what do you mean about "as hot as a P4 2Ghz heatsink gets when you disconect the CPU fan"? I hope you aren't running your P4 fanless. Also, are you running the Panaflo at 12V, and if so, have you tried 5V or 7V?

fooliosfolly

ZM-80

Post by fooliosfolly » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:45 am

I run a duct with Papst 92mm fan exhaust over my P4. CPU temps never get above 50C and usually steady around 40C this time of year. The ZM80 had good contact with the Ti4400 because it was toasty on the GPU side and very warm on the backside - therefore good heat transfer.

While my box at home doesn't have great case temperatures, I have tried this at work where the AC keeps us near 22C and basically you gotta have some kind of air circulation from a fan over this baby. Then the ZM80 heatsink is just warm to the touch but much much cooler.

After all this I think I'd prefer an oversized heatsink solution (one side only, don't need that PCI slot) with a 80mm Panaflo. The Zalman just offers the convenience of the mounting mechanism but Ti's should still have some kind of fan moving air past it.

fooliosfolly

Post by fooliosfolly » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:15 am

Forgot to add:

Haven't modded the Panaflo to 7v or 5v. So its making some noise but not as much as the stock GF4Ti heatsink/fan.

I hope the GF FX comes with the quiet slow down fan in its affordable versions. I don't mind extra fan noise while gaming but it gets really annoying when all thats going on is surfing and desktop stuff.

Has anyone noticed that the Zalman piece that goes directly over the GPU does NOT cover the entire GF4Ti GPU?