Zalman VF700 RAM sinks?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gerbil

Zalman VF700 RAM sinks?

Post by Gerbil » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:36 am

I built my new computer last week and it's quiet, but the X800 XL is by far the loudest device in the system. I'm thinking about buying a Zalman VF700-AlCu. I see that it includes 8 RAM sinks and "thermal grease"...yeah, well what good is thermal grease for fixing RAM sinks? They'll fall right off!

Also, how much am I going to have to modify the VF700 to fit my A8N-E with the a Zalman NB47J installed? I don't want to remove the mobo and reinstall a modified NB47J. That was risky once, and I'd rather not take the chance twice. Plus, I want maximum cooling for the nF4 chip since it runs so hot. I figure it'll be easier to bend or cut the VF700, and cooling isn't nearly as much of an issue for the X800 XL compared to the nF4.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:47 am

The thermal grease is for the VF700, not the RAM heatsinks. The RAM heatsinks attach with self adhesive thermal tape (you just peel off the cover on the tape that are already attached to the heatsinks). But the RAM heatsinks are optional anyway, since most video cards don't come with stock RAM heatsinks.

Check out this link for information about how your video card will fit with the A8N-E and Zalman chipset cooler. I am using an Nvidia 6600GT, so you will need to compare the difference in size and VF700 HSF mounting position between the two video cards.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 2&start=65

Gerbil

Post by Gerbil » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:32 am

m0002a wrote:The thermal grease is for the VF700, not the RAM heatsinks. The RAM heatsinks attach with self adhesive thermal tape (you just peel off the cover on the tape that are already attached to the heatsinks). But the RAM heatsinks are optional anyway, since most video cards don't come with stock RAM heatsinks.

Check out this link for information about how your video card will fit with the A8N-E and Zalman chipset cooler. I am using an Nvidia 6600GT, so you will need to compare the difference in size and VF700 HSF mounting position between the two video cards.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 2&start=65
Thanks :) I was sure the thermal grease was the for the GPU cooler. Being an active computer builder, I have plenty of Arctic Silver thermal grease though, so I don't need it. Does the thermal tape effectively transfer heat? I've always avoided it.

I've been looking at that thread for weeks (see the last posts...they're mine). I think my X800 XL is longer and has the GPU closer to the northbridge than the 6600 GT. I guess I should order it and figure it out when it gets here.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:13 am

Gerbil wrote:Thanks :) I was sure the thermal grease was the for the GPU cooler. Being an active computer builder, I have plenty of Arctic Silver thermal grease though, so I don't need it. Does the thermal tape effectively transfer heat? I've always avoided it.
I am not an expert on the thermal tape, but I think it melts when heated and forms a fairly good connection. I think Zalman is fairly reputable company and they know a fair amount about heatsinks.

If you want heatsinks on your memory, you usually don't have much choice but to use the heatsinks with the thermal tape.
Last edited by m0002a on Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerbil

Post by Gerbil » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:20 am

m0002a wrote:If you want heatsinks on your memory, you usually don't have much choice but to use the heatsinks with the thermal tape.
A few years ago I modded a GeForce 3 (original version) with a Chrome Orb and RAM sinks. I used some sort of Arctic epoxy product. Of course, that means you can never take them off. It's better for heat transfer though. I sold the epoxy after that project thinking I'd never need it again.

I've felt the RAM modules on my X800 XL and my old 9800 Pro and they certainly get hot. I think most of the heat is from dissipation from the GPU. Still, I think RAM sinks would be a good idea.

Back to the topic at hand, should the VF700 be powerful enough when running in the quiet mode? Is it nearly silent at that speed? I don't want it any louder than my Panaflo L1BX at 1000rpm.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:45 am

Got my RAM up to 565MHz with the zalman RAMsinks, they're really good :)