ZM80A-HP and ZMNB32J INSTALLATION

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MGP

ZM80A-HP and ZMNB32J INSTALLATION

Post by MGP » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:44 pm

I think that I will install a Zalman ZM80A-HP on my Gainward Ti4600 card and a ZMNB32J on my Intel 850E chipset. To my understanding, both of the products come packaged with thermal paste. Does anyone know if using a thermal grease such as Arctic Silver 3 for both installations will make any difference? I use AS3 on my CPU setup but I'm somehow not sure if the AS3 can especially be used for the ZM80A-HP where I would have to put it between the heat blocks and in the ridge where the heatpipe is placed. Thanks in advance!

auxyone

Post by auxyone » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:31 am

For what it's worth, because of the cost and limited quantity of the AS3, this is what I did. I used AS3 on the connection between the GPU chip (9700 Pro) and the ZM80A (don't have a ZMNB32J), then used the supplied grease on the connections between the plates and the pipe. This seems to work very well, but I can't say whether the AS3 has made an improvement. (I like to believe it does :D ) Both plates (top and bottom) get hot under load, and it has never crashed during benchmarks or games--so it's definitely doing its job!

I personally couldn't justify using AS3 on all of the connections because of the total quantity and diminishing returns. I think its primary benefit is between chips and heatsinks.

UncleAstro
Patron of SPCR

Post by UncleAstro » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:00 am

I agree with auxyone's reply totally. You'll actually need a significant amount of TIM when assembling the ZM80 and the included white stuff is just the right amount. I don't think that using AS3 will do any harm, but I don't think it will really help either.

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:44 pm

i bought ac3 just to replace the stock thermal grease. i didn't notice any difference, nada, nothing, ney and i wish i knew more languages for the word 'nothing'.

anyways, having ac3 on the gpu and other components does give you a psychological reward... it just feels better to have ac3 than to have that shady white stock paste from zalman :roll: