Passive dual DVI replacement for AGP GeForce 2 GTS?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ornate

Passive dual DVI replacement for AGP GeForce 2 GTS?

Post by ornate » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:17 am

Hi everyone!

I'm currently running a very old AGP GeForce 2 GTS card, modded with a Zalman passive cooler. This is plugged into an ASUS P4G8X Deluxe motherboard. This gfx card has lasted me very well indeed, but I'd love to upgrade to some TFT monitors, so I'm looking for a dual DVI card. Because my GeForce card is passively cooled, I want to replace it with a passive card, and because I have a fairly low airflow case it can't generate too much heat. I'm hoping that shouldn't be a problem - you will note from my continued use of the GeForce 2 that performance isn't really a concern ;) Finally, I'd really prefer an out of the box solution this time round, rather than having to immediately void a warranty by modding a card.

So, to summarise what I think I'm looking for:
- AGP
- Dual DVI
- Passively cooled (out of the box, and without too much heat)

Please can anyone make some suggestions?

Thanks!

Chang

Post by Chang » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:43 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Tough one. Dual DVI alone itself limits you a lot. Add in AGP restriction and passive and forget about it. I suspect you'll have to go with a workstation type graphics card which will run you several hundreds of dollars.

Your search will be much easier if you're willing to drop one (or more) of your restrictions. Upgrade to a mobo with PCIe and there are quite a few to choose from. Go down to 1 DVI slot and your numbers go up. Add a fan and again, you can find a handful of cards.

Newegg lets you search with a lot of options, so try going there for an idea of what's out there.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:06 am

Here's what NewEgg came up with that meet your requirements.

Linky

The Matrox P650 looks to be exactly what you need, but it's also $150.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but maybe you could buy two PCI cards (each with one DVI-out per card) and hook a monitor to each card? It'd probably end up being cheaper, as I think you can grab a low-end PCI video card for like $50.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:57 am

are you talking about dual DVI outputs (2 outputs of the DVI type, with about 250MPx/s each)?

or are you talking about a dual-link DVI output (1 DL-DVI output, should hold about 500MPx/s, for apple 30" cinema display and the likes)?

because I expect the top one should be easier to find....

finaint

Re: Passive dual DVI replacement for AGP GeForce 2 GTS?

Post by finaint » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:58 am

ornate wrote: - AGP
- Dual DVI
- Passively cooled (out of the box, and without too much heat)
I own an HIS Radeon 9600 AGP Dual DVI
http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ ... 3&view=yes
This card scores low in benchmark tests when compared to similar-class video cards. I don't play 3D games. I use it to support dual LCD displays. The image of my LCDs is sharp enough only when used with DVI input.

The card runs cool with a fan. If I unplug the fan, it runs only a little warm. Ambient temperature at 29/30C. It doesn't have to be actively cooled in my case. I play videos and not games though. My experience may not transfer.

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:43 pm

I'm running a Passive 9550 256mb with 2xDVI+TV in my shuttle. It was the cheepeast ($100 Aus) dual dvi card I could fine. The problem is I think it was a test run by Palit into the Asian market as the card doesnt exist on their english website. It runs my 2x2005FPW fine however.

ornate

Post by ornate » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:56 am

Thanks for the help! I decided to go for the Matrox P650 in the end, I'll have to see how it performs :)