Sapphire vs. Asus x1950 pro

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AndeeG

Sapphire vs. Asus x1950 pro

Post by AndeeG » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:00 pm

I'm gearing up to buy an x1950 pro and just noticed that both the Asus and Sapphire versions are available on zipzoomfly. The Sapphire is 5 bucks more. Which one should I get?

Japesgalore

Post by Japesgalore » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:17 am

Get them both and use the Sapphire as a door stop, that's my advice.

No, seriously though, I imagine the cards are identical. If they have different coolers then go for the quieter one. Otherwise, choose the one you think has a better software package.

Actually, I regard Asus to be a slightly more 'upmarket' brand with a reputation for making the most solid hardware. I'd go for the Asus and save those 5 bucks to buy a not-nearly-as-effective-as-the-sapphire doorstop.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:36 am

AFAIK the cards are NOT identical. The Sapphire has the standard cooler, while the Asus cooler looks beefier.
In which case even if the fan of the Asus X1950 Pro is noisy, it should be easier to turn down without a large increase in temperatures.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:38 am

someone did a user review of the asus card on newegg that's some $40 cheaper than the sapphire. Apparently, the card newegg is selling doesn't have the crossfire connectors, so if you were looking to get 2 of them, you'd have to buy the connectors separately. As far as cooling, I'm going to use my vf900 on it anyway, so that wasn't an issue for me, in fact, I'd prefer the card I buy to have a junk cooler so I could justify removing it. I wouldn't even consider the power color version with the X2, then what would I do the the zalman I just bought?

bfp169

Post by bfp169 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:39 am

I had to make the same choice between the Asus and the Sapphire Extreme card (with AC's X2).
Since i have seen some reviews complaining about the Asus cooling solution I decided to go for the Sapphire card.

I will post my experience with this card.