Recommended CRT monitors?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Recommended CRT monitors?

Post by spookmineer » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:04 pm

My monitor is sometimes "blinking", goes all black, the screen goes like this: [) (] like switching off and on really quick. This mostly (not usually though) happens when I click for properties of files. Lately it's gotten a bit worse (about twice a week) and I'm wondering if this is a sign of an old monitor giving up...
It doesn't happen in games though, or when I watch movies. It only happens in windows.

My monitor is an Iiyama from 2001. I checked, they don't make CRT monitors anymore.
I tried to find some reviews on CRT monitors but there hardly are any. All the rage is LCD these days.

I like the flexibility of NOT having a native resolution and not worry about dead pixels.
Does this mean I'm old fashioned? I'm still not convinced LCD can offer the same quality as CRT (I even bought an old fashioned CRT TV this year instead of going for an LCD).

Does having a "fixed resolution" mean a whole lot? How do review sites test graphic cards at 2560x1600 (do they still use CRT's for this)? From (the little) I read, LCD monitors are not able to offer this type of resolution.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:18 am

To me your problem seems to be related to a driver / other software problem. The system believes it has to change video modes and messes up.
I also have an Iiyama CRT (VM Pro 454), and my previous CRT was also Iiyama, but I am a bit dissapointed by the 'made in China' quality (they both buzz(ed) ).
Iiyama CRTs are still available in my country, but my next display is going to be a LCD, one with high contrast, so I'm waiting for the prices to come down.
Probably the best solution would be 22" 1680x1050, because I wouldn't need the latest and greatest gfx card to get good frame rates in games.
But the current 22" panels used in LCDs are Chi-Mei, with only 700 contrast, which is under my requirements, since I'm used to CRT contrast.
The 20" 1680x1050 NEC 20WGX2 is probably the best now, I hope they'll bring to market a 22"-24" of that quality, and not too pricey.
About the 2560x1600 resolution, it's native to the 30" Dell 3007 WFP (Dell are supposed to refresh it soon, with a better contrast and lower latency).

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:42 am

It could be driver or windows configuration or videocard problem. If you have some video driver entry in file properties menu, then this may cause mode changes.

Does your monitor blink when windows is in safe mode? Can you test your monitor with another PC?

Othervise I'm in same boat - I don't like LCDs (and can't look at LCD screen without getting headache anyway :().

You may look at bigger CRT screens; Viewsonic and Philips produce some 21"-22" models (at least these are on sale here in Estonia).

Here are also some 19" Samsungs available, but unfortunately they seem being crap (2-3 years ago they had good build quality, not anymore) - my co-worker bought one (for photo editing) but was bitterly disappointed; monitor has serious focus problems and warranty service couldn't repair this thing.

DonQ

Re: Recommended CRT monitors?

Post by DonQ » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:58 am

spookmineer wrote:My monitor is sometimes "blinking", goes all black...
Just in case you determine you do want/need to replace your CRT I'd like to say that I've bought two Sony Trinitrons in EXCELLENT condition at very reasonable prices from this place:

http://www.merkortech.com

and that's what I would recommend. I replaced my 21" Sony Trinitron with an LCD panel strictly because the Trinitron was so huge!

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:20 am

Definitely a driver issue, not the CRT itself. I've you've recently upgraded a graphics card or driver, that's the culprit. If it bugs you, I can only suggest finding a different driver; a new monitor won't solve the problem.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:27 am

Hi, I think I know what you mean with the monitor picture, it's like it tripped out and straight back in again, probably with a click/clunk. As other have said can you try different monitor or PC to be sure it is the screen?
I had a couple of 21" Iiyama CRTs (VM 500 & VM 501) that both developed same problem, picture would disappear and had to thump the top to get it to come back! Got worse and worse (more frequent loss of picture and more thumps to get it back) and eventually I decided I needed new screens. Looked at price of pair 19" TFT (then £300-500) and then looked on eBay. Ended up with pair of IBM P260s, best CRTs I've even used and only screens I've used where 1600x1200 was realistic to use all the time. They are bulky and at 70Lb each had to collect them in person, 3h drive away but at £60 the pair the best value computer parts I've ever had.
Seb

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:18 pm

Thanks all.
Maybe I'm just imagining things, because I've had this driver for some while now (maybe too long) but it never seemed to have issues. I'm mostly with "if it's not broken, don't fix it". It wasn't broken before, so I worried about it being a monitor issue. A bit puzzled if it's a driver problem because I never had problems before.

I'm a bit relieved that it maybe isn't the monitor itself (drawing conclusions: it never happens in game, just in windows), then again from SebRad's post... I can live with it if it's just a driver issue - which curiously worked very well before. To be sure I'll install a newer driver anyway.

I haven't tested in safe mode, don't have another PC available.
Don't think anything bigger then 19" CRT will fit on my desk :/

5 years for a monitor does seem a bit short though (and Iiyama is said to have good build quality). If I compare it to my old TV: 15 years old and still not broken.

I hope CRT's will still be available in a few years time, the amount of CRT's available here have reduced dramatically over the years.