Flat panel help (Samsung T220 and LG L22WTG)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

Flat panel help (Samsung T220 and LG L22WTG)

Post by PretzelB » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:44 pm

I wasn't sure if this should be VGA or general system question so I went with VGA.

I'm shopping for a new 22" flat panel and I'm looking at the LG L227WTG, LG W2252TQ, and Samsung T220. What is puzzling me is that I've tried two Samsung T220 and they both seem overly bright. I used to have a 20" Dell flat panel from maybe 5+ years ago so maybe this is just how the new generation work? But I've tried a few online tests like the ones here http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests. ... ient-h.png and at times I can't see all the squares because it's too bright.

I'd like to avoid taking another monitor back if they are all like this but until I see them all I don't know. The store isn't much help since the display models all feed off a bad signal and it's hard to tell much of anything.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:02 pm

T220 is a waste of money...you're paying for a flashy stand and paintjob. 2232BW is a better buy.

The L227WTG is a decent monitor and my choice of the LG's.

But since you've tried Dell before why not check out the Dell SP2208WFP? I know they don't have them in the stores, but BestBuy does sell them (which is where you're shopping I'm guessing). I just go mine yesterday and it's quiet and once adjusted properly, it's absolutely gorgeous.

It's a glossy screen which does make colors "pop" a little more, but can be distracting in an overly bright room or office. It has built-in 4-port USB hub and a webcam/microphone. The stand is nothing compared to the Ultrasharp series stands, but neither are any of the others listed.

Just my $0.02.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:18 pm

The T220 is actually less than the L227WTG and I don't think the LG has a DVI cable included. But I'm just trying to get a good picture now.

I didn't check out the Dells at Best Buy because I figured Samsung and LG should do a better job. The SP2208WFP seems to be about the same price. Having usb ports on the monitor again would be nice.

My old Dell did have a great stand which it seems is asking for too much these days.

I guess they are all just ultra bright now with the new TN technology. Hard to tell if the LG would be much better without giving it a try. But I do hate to return stuff.