Best 8800GTS Mfg/Brand to avoid buzzing coils and whining?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

krille

Best 8800GTS Mfg/Brand to avoid buzzing coils and whining?

Post by krille » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:18 am

If I remember correctly, eVGA has been recommended before. I just want to be sure before ordering, so should eVGA be my best choice for a silent 8800GTS?

I'm talking about buzzing, squealing and whining produced by components other than the card's HSF here, such as coil whine. I have had really bad cases of very intrusive high-pitched electrical noise before (and maybe lower-pitched humming as well) and would rather avoid this, like so many other SPCR'ers. The stock HSF will be replaced with an S1 + low-speed 120mm fan of course.

So what manufacturers are 'safe'? Which are not?

Let's make a list based on our knowledge and experiences! :D

Elvellon

Post by Elvellon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:57 am

AFAIK all of the high-end cards like 8800GTS are 'reference' - i.e. they are made on nVidia's orders by Foxconn and Flextronics and sold to vendors as a whole.
Though there may be some under-the-carpet happenings.

krille

Post by krille » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:59 am

Elvellon wrote:AFAIK all of the high-end cards like 8800GTS are 'reference' - i.e. they are made on nVidia's orders by Foxconn and Flextronics and sold to vendors as a whole.
Though there may be some under-the-carpet happenings.
So it all comes down to sample variance and manufacturer is irrelevant?

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:03 pm

There's no difference between the card designs, but I suppose it's technically possible for one manufacturer to use higher quality components than another. However, quality aside, there's still a great reason to choose eVGA - they have, by a wide margin, the best warranty out there. It's a lifetime warranty and is not voided by changing the cooling solution.

krille

Post by krille » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 am

tehcrazybob wrote:There's no difference between the card designs, but I suppose it's technically possible for one manufacturer to use higher quality components than another. However, quality aside, there's still a great reason to choose eVGA - they have, by a wide margin, the best warranty out there. It's a lifetime warranty and is not voided by changing the cooling solution.
I'm definitely getting eVGA then. Thanks! :D

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 am

Before you pull the trigger on an aftermarket cooling solution, I assure you the stock cooling is whisper-quiet in idle and unintrusive under load. At least give it a try before swapping out for an S1!

krille

Post by krille » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:01 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Before you pull the trigger on an aftermarket cooling solution, I assure you the stock cooling is whisper-quiet in idle and unintrusive under load. At least give it a try before swapping out for an S1!
I will give it a try then. I'd have to get the S1's from another shop anyway.

I had an 8800GTX 768MB (G80-based) before though and although it was quite bearable at idle (actually it was almost silent), the swooshing grew a bit too loud under load. I doubt the actual HSF has improved, but you are quite right in that the GTS (G92) runs a lot cooler (and that's really the only reason I'm going high-end again). The card will be used for a lot of gaming though, so the investment will probably be worthwhile.

ZMAJ

Post by ZMAJ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:54 am

My bro has Zotac 8800GTS 512MB (g92) which is here in croatia 25% chepaer then other 8800GTS 512MB (g92) cards.

It has no whine, and as said before it is very quite in idle but also very loud in load...

Its really a nice card and only thing that I dislike is 1 year warranty...

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:46 am

I bought a 8800 GTS from scan for £140 (XFX). used an accelero S1, when I peeled back the sticker on the old heatsink there was another 'reference' sticker underneath ;p, you can see the sticky marks from the sticker underneath looking like this:
http://www.hothardware.com/articleimage ... hi_res.png