Workstation grade GPU what makes it good?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sonic6k

Workstation grade GPU what makes it good?

Post by sonic6k » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Hello!

I plan of buying new video editing machine with dedication of components. For plan I already want high performance motherboard, but also high performer graphic card! Because video edit not so demanding for 3D acceleration, but require more 2D power. Is it worth new MATROX G550 of PCI EXPRESS for very small size? Additional question why ATI or NVIDIA makes better graphic card of workstation grade? Is it true Quadro overpriced, but ATI FirePro very expensive also!

There is need of dual display installation with digital output, but is it early of buying DisplayPort capability for graphic card? Quadro NVS 295 good example, not very expensive! What I must look at in workstation grade GPU or is it true of being waste and gaming grade is sufficient? I want low power graphic card of passive cooling solution, maybe ACCELERO compatible to better cooling from air circulation?

Thank you and I have very sorry of English! I faithfull promise learning is hard but be forgiveness!

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:39 pm

Do any of the video editing programs offer anything that can use either brand of video card? Like for specific acceleration features? Otherwise if it's just manipulating things to edit them together, drive speed, cpu and ram will be the keys, and even the low end cards should be more than enough.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:36 am

psiu wrote:Do any of the video editing programs offer anything that can use either brand of video card? Like for specific acceleration features? Otherwise if it's just manipulating things to edit them together, drive speed, cpu and ram will be the keys, and even the low end cards should be more than enough.
Yes I must have precise detail written of software to know of what graphic card will make the job. Video editor from software is called SONY VEGAS PRO and homepage location have here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro

What I must look at, because SONY homepage is confusion to my eyes. Is it true Quadro or FirePro will aid of video editing software or save money for buying of gaming grade graphic card better?

I must also tell of issue to noise in room. Machine for last year can have LOUD noise, I must buy of passive cooling card for SILENT. Many of workstation grade have passive cooling, but too many of gaming grade have rotating fan of LOUD noise!

Please assist of me I do not know well this things but will try my best for learning of technology.