radeon power management in Windows (how to adjust)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

echn111

radeon power management in Windows (how to adjust)

Post by echn111 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 am

Anyone know how to adjust the thresholds and power profiles when a radeon card (i.e. HD 6870) moves from low to mid to high power?

It's rather annoying when running a youtube video causes the card to move into mid power mode.

Used to be able to do this years ago with rivatuner or by messing around the Bios settings with nVidia cards, but no idea how this can be done nowdays for AMD cards in a Window O/S.

mkk

Re: radeon power management in Windows (how to adjust)

Post by mkk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:39 am

I believe from since last I looked at this very thing, that from around the HD4000 series the chips have a fairly high minimum threshold for video acceleration to work without artifacting. So I don't think there's much that can be done to this factor presently. Maybe on the memory clock side, but that won't save much power anyway. Fortunately the cards are not loaded to more than a few single percents as long as not a lot of image enhancement effects are added to 1080p video.

echn111

Re: radeon power management in Windows (how to adjust)

Post by echn111 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 am

Well having 2 monitors turns on mid-power state for both nVidia and Radeon cards. Same for adobe flash/youtube, unless you manually disable hardware acceleration. These are just examples, and I'm sure there are plenty more, but point is this "minimum threshold" seems to be triggered pretty frequently on my PC, even when there's no danger of artifacting.

All I'm looking for is decent power management that's easy to set up for a general user, and the ability to adjust profiles.