Bend heatpipes to use airflow from intake fans?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mr Evil

Bend heatpipes to use airflow from intake fans?

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:58 am

I want to replace the heatsink on my 4770 with a passive one. There are apparently none that are compatible, so since I would therefore have to do a bit of modding anyway, I thought I would try something more radical, like this sketch:
With the heatpipes bent like this, the fins would be directly in the path of the airflow from my intake fans. The problem is: What heatsinks are there that could be bent into this shape?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:43 pm

I think the Accelero S1 is compatible with the 4770 if you do a bit of modding and cut off some of the fins.

Check out the pics in this thread.

Not to be rude or anything, but if some minor mods to an Accelero would be enough to make it fit, is there much reason to go for something more extreme like what you are suggesting (other than experimenting, of course)?

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:33 pm

JamieG wrote:...is there much reason to go for something more extreme like what you are suggesting (other than experimenting, of course)?
Isn't that enough of a reason?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:32 pm

If experimentation is your goal, then go for it.

Personally, I'm a bit inclined towards a minimum effort with best possible result, which is why I pointed out that an Accelero only needs a little modding to fit.

Anyway, I imagine an Accelero might be able to mount the way you want if you unbent the heatpipes (assuming the mounting holes are arranged in a square shape). You might have to chop off a bit of the ends of the Accelero's fins anyway, as it might be longer than your case is wide.

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:49 pm

You would need some duct. Plus, the possibility to ruin the heatsink.
Accelero L2 Pro fits and is almost silent.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:01 am

JamieG wrote:...Personally, I'm a bit inclined towards a minimum effort with best possible result, which is why I pointed out that an Accelero only needs a little modding to fit...
Actually it would need a lot of modding because there is only ~15mm between the edge of the graphics card and the side of my case, but the S1 sticks out further than that (I had to cut a hole in the side of my case to make a Thermalright V1 Ultra fit).

JamieG wrote:...Anyway, I imagine an Accelero might be able to mount the way you want if you unbent the heatpipes (assuming the mounting holes are arranged in a square shape). You might have to chop off a bit of the ends of the Accelero's fins anyway, as it might be longer than your case is wide.
I had considered that, but I think it would hit the motherboard, and there is no way to cut off enough to prevent that because the heatpipes are there.

Klusu wrote:You would need some duct. Plus, the possibility to ruin the heatsink.
Accelero L2 Pro fits and is almost silent.
Ducting is no problem (although I suspect it may not be necessary because I don't need any on the CPU, which is already passive). I am perfectly willing to accept the risks (although this does mean that I don't want to spend too much on the heatsink, in case I break it). An Accelero L2 is no good because it's what's on there already (it's the non-reference Sapphire 4770), and it's not quiet enough.