zalman vga cooler and northbridge?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

adoyle

zalman vga cooler and northbridge?

Post by adoyle » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:03 am

hey..i'm putting together a new system based on the P4 2.8. I am researching all i need to make it as quiet as possible. I'll be using a high performance graphics card, the nvidia quadro fx 1000. Is it possible to use the zalman vga passive cooler with their northbridge heatsink? It looks like it won't fit from the photo.

2) what is the queitest heatsink/fan combo for the p4? Is it zalmann or some other brand?

3) can u use the cpu fan to cool the northbridge without the heatsink?

4) what kind of fan do you need in conjuction with the passive cooler for a high performance graphics card?

Thanks alot
alan

adoyle

anyone?

Post by adoyle » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:33 am

anyone help?

silent_bob

Post by silent_bob » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:52 pm

Your best bet is to ask the Zalman rep with your specific motherboard and gfx card choice. They usually reply within a day or so:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/board/board.htm

Liquidated

for hsfs

Post by Liquidated » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:37 pm

there's 4 options I've heard from this board regarding CPU heat sinks

first would be the Zalman line.. The largest flower you can get seems to work fine

The alpha pal 8942 is a good hsf

The Swiftech line is a classic in the OC industry

The thermalright line is a favorite as well around here.

each of the above fans are slighly different, the zalmans use brackets to hold the fan, the slk series of thermalrights have fan overhang that can help out the northbridge/ video depending on how the CPU socket is aligned.

Basicly grab a heat sink that catches your fancy and pair it up with the bog standard panaflo 80mm L1a fan. Undervolt it however and reach a happy medium between quiet and cool. if the heat sink can support a 92mm fan then that's an option too. The fan is as important as the heat sink so feel free to belabor that. The 80mm panaflo L1a is the SPCR benchmark.

Smarty loves his alpha, katana loves his slk 900 and lots use zalmans and defend those to the death as well. Bottom line is that all 4 manufacturers (even if swiftech is kinda not mentioned here on this board) make really nice heat sinks for the quiet concerned. Pick one you like and run with it.

Cheers!
-Liq

adoyle

Post by adoyle » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:21 pm

ok thanks..but what voltage would i run the fan at?

adoyle

Post by adoyle » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:32 pm

papst fans are rated at 12db, can't i use one of those on the cpu..?? do they give out enough air?
al

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:43 pm

Not sure about the papst but if you use an 80mm panaflo just try 7 volts and see if you are happy.