6870 and where to place heatsinks (twin turbo pro)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

karkee

6870 and where to place heatsinks (twin turbo pro)

Post by karkee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 am

Hey

so I got my twin turbo pro for my 6870 now im unsure what heatsinks to use at what vrm's.

http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/imagelarge/1287695089.jpeg , if you look at the upper side of the card you have 4 "memory I think?" and also 4 in the back then 4 in the front...

Do I only need to cool the front ones?

Thx

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: 6870 and where to place heatsinks (twin turbo pro)

Post by frenchie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am

Memory chips are the larger flat ones (to the right of the graphic chip and under the thermal pad at the top). There might be some on the back of the card too.
The parts of the VRMs that need cooling are to the left, under that grey thermal pad.
To be thorough, I think I also see some VRMs at the bottom and top right (next to the choke that says R47) : it's the square chip with 3 "legs" that looks like the middle leg is broken (it's normal !). I'm not sure you have to actively cool those.
To know what needs to be cooled, I would stick to what is cooled by the reference cooler : if there is a thermal pad on a component, make sure it is properly cooled. (sometimes the thermal pads sticks to the stock cooler rather than the components when you remove it, so make sure you check the stock cooler for leftover thermal padding that would indicate a need for proper cooling)