Recommendations for a new GC - fanless, Low RAM, 2 Outputs..

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Max Dread

Recommendations for a new GC - fanless, Low RAM, 2 Outputs..

Post by Max Dread » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:29 am

Hi all

As per some of my previous recent posts, I have now established that my GC is definitely dead and so am on the hunt for a new one...

I have not kept up with computers since building my PC in 2008, so I have no idea what has been released since then. But that's not to say I want a newer card, as I'd be just as happy with an older (secondhand) card if it ticks all the boxes. And so would my wallet!

My requirements are:

- silent/passive
- as small an amount of RAM as possible (because the DP35DP does not re-map memory)
- something which does not generate a lot of heat
- something which does not use too much power (especially when idle)
- dual outputs sufficient to run two DVI monitors
- PCI-e

Nvidia, ATI or ??? is fine.

I have no intention to play games. However, it would be good if the card can play videos and show graphics (from websites, programs etc) to the same standard as my old card, which was an nVidia 9600GT.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Max

boost

Re: Recommendations for a new GC - fanless, Low RAM, 2 Outpu

Post by boost » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:31 am

If you want to stick with nVidia (saves you from scrubbing their drivers) a Zotac 210 has two DVI ports. There are other models with differnt ports, you need to be careful to buy the right one. You can use a HDMI-DVI adapter for resolutions up to 1920x1200.
On the AMD side there's a 5450 from Sapphire with two DVI ports, but it's not even listed on their web site. The same warning about very similar card with different ports applies.
These are the most basic cards, the latest 7750 card might get 1-2W lower in idle, but they cost around three times as much and need a dual slot cooler for passive cooling.