Accelero S1 Rev 2; plus a thermalright VGA cooler?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Drew J

Accelero S1 Rev 2; plus a thermalright VGA cooler?

Post by Drew J » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:20 am

It doesn't look like anyone has tried this yet, my searches didn't yield any results, at least. I bought a MSI R5770 for quite cheap. Now I know it's because the fans have a bit of bearing chatter. Last night I ordered the Accelero S1 Rev 2 and a couple 92mm nexus fans for the front intake of my Antec Solo (wish it was a Solo 2). I'm a little worried about VRM cooling, does the retail package come with the VR001 heatsinks? If not I don't have any VRM cooling lined up. This led me to wondering if any of thermalright's VRM solutions could work?

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... ooler.html

Thank you in advance for any insight. Please ask any questions that come to mind. This is my first post here, but I've been reading regularly for about a year. Love this place.

Klusu

Re: Accelero S1 Rev 2; plus a thermalright VGA cooler?

Post by Klusu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:36 am

S1 is big. I don't think you can use it with any of those VRM coolers. I'm not sure; even if you can, the card would be a monster.
S1 comes with a VRM cooler, which fits under the S1.

Drew J

Post by Drew J » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:18 am

Well, I'm relieved to hear the S1 will have the VRM sinks with it. I know the combination of the two would be overboard, particularly versus considering such a thing for a 6870 or other hotter card. I guess in my mind I thought... 'Can there really be too many aluminum fins?' :wink:

Actually I was a little worried about them impeding free airflow, lol. Well, I'm still at the beginning of my search for silence.

Thanks!

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:05 pm

I had to buy low profile heat sinks, though, as the ones that came with the Accelero were too high to fit under the card. (oops).

Note - I have a slot fan on it. I tried the Accelero cooling fans that they make for it and they worked well, but dies after a year. A slot fan works just as well and is a bit quieter. Put the slot fan one slot away from the card so that you suck air from the entire vicinity so as to capture some of the heat from the case as well, since it creates a massive heat "island" as you'd imagine.

I noted about a 20C difference between purely passive and a slot fan when gaming. (note - a side case fan blowing outwards would also do the same trick)

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Drew J wrote:It doesn't look like anyone has tried this yet, my searches didn't yield any results, at least. I bought a MSI R5770 for quite cheap. Now I know it's because the fans have a bit of bearing chatter. Last night I ordered the Accelero S1 Rev 2 and a couple 92mm nexus fans for the front intake of my Antec Solo (wish it was a Solo 2). I'm a little worried about VRM cooling, does the retail package come with the VR001 heatsinks? If not I don't have any VRM cooling lined up. This led me to wondering if any of thermalright's VRM solutions could work?
Rather than two fans in front, I'd suggest strapping one of the fans onto the S1 with some zip ties. This will dramatically cool the GPU, and also provide some fairly direct airflow over the rest of the card.

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Not one, two, and bigger. I put 12cm+10cm on S1 yesterday. VRMs are still 90°C max (the GPU 50°C max). HD4870.