It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:39 pm
Posts: 55
have nothing against ATI but have used NVIDIA cards for ages and have not had problems with them, whereas have had a niggling problem with an old 2400PRO in the past going all blocky when playing video, but that eventually got sorted but i'm getting off the point.

i'm upgrading my old core2 e4300/scythe ninja/geforce 8800gts workhorse system to a more recent offering (likely to be an overclocked i5 2500k/asus p8p67/arctic freezer 13 bundle) that will play games nicely :)

am using a dell 24" monitor which is 1920x1200 but i have no issues dropping down the the 16:10 res below that for performance which i am doing with games on my current rig.

any suggestions? (whereas i dont mind spending the money, i dont need bleeding edge cards and the premium they come with)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 2024
Location: Guatemala
Going passive imo is not worth it, specially if you plan to play. If you already have a fan running, i would just try to go with a good aftermarket cooling setup. Some have had good results lowering the rpm with MSI afterburner or flashing the vbios to even lower it more. Idk whats your budget, but there are good cards for all ranges,

Galaxy Geforce GTX580 1536 MB DDR5 Video Card
SPARKLE Calibre X570 GeForce GTX 570
Sparkle Calibre X460G GeForce GTX 460
SPARKLE Calibre Series X450G GeForce GTS 450

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:39 pm
Posts: 55
having looked around, i see that passively cooled ATI card which is meant to be comparable to a nvidia 460 but its passive. might wait to see how that pans out, cost wise, else i may just go with a fan based nvidia card.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Posts: 1232
Location: UK
There are some cards around now with very quiet coolers as standard, for example the Gigabyte GTX 560 OC http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-gigabyte-gtx-560-oc-40nm-4008mhz-gddr5-gpu-830mhz-shader-1660mhz-336-cores-2-x-dvi-i-mhdmi. This particular card is fitted with twin 100mm fans, and produces very little noise at idle. Even at load it would probably not be that intrusive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:37 pm 
Offline
Patron of SPCR

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:18 am
Posts: 1072
Location: UK
Hi, you might take a look at the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1GB
The 560 has 4008MHz GDDR5, GPU 830MHz, Shader 1660MHz, 336 Cores
The 560 Ti has 4000MHz GDDR5, GPU 900MHz, Shader 1800MHz, 384 Cores
The cores x MHz is 24% more performance for an extra £7!

Anandtech review of GTX 560
My summary of their findings is the GTX 560 Ti is ~10% faster than "base" clocked GTX 560 but most will be over-clocked, like the aforementioned Gigabyte, and the power consumption relative to performance pretty much matches the 560 Ti.
The Gigabyte 560 Ti OC has GPU and shader clocks 9.5% above stock 560 Ti.
There is also a 560 Ti SOC (super over clock) with 4580/950/1900 clocks and a different cooler.

How the Gigabyte 560 Ti OC fits in I wouldn't like to say but suspect the difference in noise to be minimal vs the GTX 560 OC version.

Regards, Seb

_________________
i7 2600k under NH-C14 w/2xTY-140PWM fans, P8P67Deluxe, 8GB RAM, GTX560Ti OC w/TwinTurbo II and BIOS fanspeed mod. 2x120GB HyperX 3K RAID 0 & 2TB EARX in Scythe QuietDrive outside case. Antec Signature 650 fan swapped. CoolerMaster 201C with 2x92 + lower 92mm fan out rear, holes-in-floor and mesh top+front intakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Posts: 1232
Location: UK
SebRad wrote:
How the Gigabyte 560 Ti OC fits in I wouldn't like to say but suspect the difference in noise to be minimal vs the GTX 560 OC version.


The twin 100mm fan setup fitted to the GTX 560 OC is the most recent of Gigabyte's twin fan technologies, in fact this is the first card I am aware of with it that you can buy retail. The web reviewers talk about how quiet it is at idle, and even when overclocked from the stock 830Mhz it features relatively low load temperatures (mid 60s C) with what one reviewer describes as a faint drone from the fans. So cooling maybe as good as or slightly better than the Arctic Twin Turbo Pro, without the cost and hassle of having to replace a stock cooler yourself. And with a custom fan profile created with MSI Afterburner could have even more potential as a relatively quiet gaming card.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:39 pm
Posts: 55
lodestar wrote:
SebRad wrote:
How the Gigabyte 560 Ti OC fits in I wouldn't like to say but suspect the difference in noise to be minimal vs the GTX 560 OC version.


The twin 100mm fan setup fitted to the GTX 560 OC is the most recent of Gigabyte's twin fan technologies, in fact this is the first card I am aware of with it that you can buy retail. The web reviewers talk about how quiet it is at idle, and even when overclocked from the stock 830Mhz it features relatively low load temperatures (mid 60s C) with what one reviewer describes as a faint drone from the fans. So cooling maybe as good as or slightly better than the Arctic Twin Turbo Pro, without the cost and hassle of having to replace a stock cooler yourself. And with a custom fan profile created with MSI Afterburner could have even more potential as a relatively quiet gaming card.

Image

interesting, having not kept in the pc upgrading game (havent done for a good few years) i had always assume/associated fans = moving parts = noise.

despite my bias towards NVIDIA i am not that closed minded as some fanboys are, that new passive 6850 that is set to be released soon, looks promising as being the fastest passive card around, whats the equivalent NVIDIA card to one of those?

do you think it will be able to handle 1920x1200 gaming when bundled with a i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Posts: 129
Location: New Zealand
lanceuppercut wrote:
interesting, having not kept in the pc upgrading game (havent done for a good few years) i had always assume/associated fans = moving parts = noise.

despite my bias towards NVIDIA i am not that closed minded as some fanboys are, that new passive 6850 that is set to be released soon, looks promising as being the fastest passive card around, whats the equivalent NVIDIA card to one of those?

do you think it will be able to handle 1920x1200 gaming when bundled with a i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz?

afaik, the HD6850 is generally equivalent to the 1GB edition GTX460's (NOT the SE), as for 1920*1080 gaming, I think they are fine in generally, might need to turn down the effect for specific titles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:39 pm
Posts: 55
Flanker wrote:
afaik, the HD6850 is generally equivalent to the 1GB edition GTX460's (NOT the SE), as for 1920*1080 gaming, I think they are fine in generally, might need to turn down the effect for specific titles

the "SE" --is that a faster(/special?) edition of the 460?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Posts: 129
Location: New Zealand
lanceuppercut wrote:
the "SE" --is that a faster(/special?) edition of the 460?

quite the opposite, turned out to be slower than the original 768mb version of 460


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:39 pm
Posts: 55
Flanker wrote:
lanceuppercut wrote:
the "SE" --is that a faster(/special?) edition of the 460?

quite the opposite, turned out to be slower than the original 768mb version of 460

ah i see, did a google around with some people suggesting the SE stood for "sucky edition" heh :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 93
lanceuppercut wrote:
Flanker wrote:
lanceuppercut wrote:
the "SE" --is that a faster(/special?) edition of the 460?

quite the opposite, turned out to be slower than the original 768mb version of 460

ah i see, did a google around with some people suggesting the SE stood for "sucky edition" heh :)


If bigger fans are the solution (as Gigabyte has done here) why not go totally passive and crossfire 6850's without fans and let your much bigger casefans do more work?

_________________
Fractal 3000 | 2x Noctua NF-S12B FLX casefan (by mobo) front intake + back exhaust | 2x BeQuiet Silent Wing USC 140mm top exhaust @7V + side intake @3,5V | Seasonic X760 | Asus P8p67 Deluxe B3 | 8gb G-Skill Ripjaws | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 + Thermalright TY-140 | Intel i7 2600k (4.4 ghz) | 2 x Intel X25M 120gb SSD | KFA2 580GTX Anarchy 900/2050 + 2x Nexus Real Silent 120mm @7V | Samsung 2443BW |


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:39 pm
Posts: 55
[quote="tanassi]If bigger fans are the solution (as Gigabyte has done here) why not go totally passive and crossfire 6850's without fans and let your much bigger casefans do more work?[/quote]
its an interesting option but its not released nor do i know how much its likely to put me back. i suppose i could upgrade the cpu/motherboard and worry about the gfx later, hmm!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 93
lanceuppercut wrote:
[quote="tanassi]If bigger fans are the solution (as Gigabyte has done here) why not go totally passive and crossfire 6850's without fans and let your much bigger casefans do more work?[/quote]
its an interesting option but its not released nor do i know how much its likely to put me back. i suppose i could upgrade the cpu/motherboard and worry about the gfx later, hmm![/quote]


Get a motherboard with fan control for both cpu fan AND casefans. This has helped my rig a lot. On my Asus P8p67 deluxe I can set graphs like afterburner for the fans in my Lian Li case. Works wonders and makes more sense than using the tiny fans on a vid card.

_________________
Fractal 3000 | 2x Noctua NF-S12B FLX casefan (by mobo) front intake + back exhaust | 2x BeQuiet Silent Wing USC 140mm top exhaust @7V + side intake @3,5V | Seasonic X760 | Asus P8p67 Deluxe B3 | 8gb G-Skill Ripjaws | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 + Thermalright TY-140 | Intel i7 2600k (4.4 ghz) | 2 x Intel X25M 120gb SSD | KFA2 580GTX Anarchy 900/2050 + 2x Nexus Real Silent 120mm @7V | Samsung 2443BW |


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 42
I run my 580 passive at idle. Bios modded sparkle 580 (comes with cooler). I suggest the Galaxy 580 as it comes quiet enough stock without bios mod and is reasonably priced.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 93
systemlayers wrote:
I run my 580 passive at idle. Bios modded sparkle 580 (comes with cooler). I suggest the Galaxy 580 as it comes quiet enough stock without bios mod and is reasonably priced.


What case are you using?

And you dont have to mod the bios to get a fan settings lower than 40% in Afterburner?

_________________
Fractal 3000 | 2x Noctua NF-S12B FLX casefan (by mobo) front intake + back exhaust | 2x BeQuiet Silent Wing USC 140mm top exhaust @7V + side intake @3,5V | Seasonic X760 | Asus P8p67 Deluxe B3 | 8gb G-Skill Ripjaws | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 + Thermalright TY-140 | Intel i7 2600k (4.4 ghz) | 2 x Intel X25M 120gb SSD | KFA2 580GTX Anarchy 900/2050 + 2x Nexus Real Silent 120mm @7V | Samsung 2443BW |


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fastest passive (nvidia) card available?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:39 pm
Posts: 55
is there any specific make of 560 or 560ti is more "quieter" than others, i think i've settled on one of those two if my replacement psu is going to take it..


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group