I'm getting ready to purchase my first build ever. I'm really happy that there's a forum dedicated to getting the quietest components possible, since noise is something I'm really sensitive to. Anyway, I'd like to purchase a 6870, and I've narrowed my choices down to two possibilities:
1. XFX Black Edition HD-687A-ZDBC (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150520
2. GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125357
I have a couple of questions:
1. Which cooler is quieter? The XFX dual fan and the Gigabyte windforce both get good reviews. Does anyone have a preference? With the gigabyte spin slower since there are three fans?
2. The Gigabyte is clocked a bit slower than the XFX black. However, XFX also makes a standard card with dual fans that isn't overclocked at all. Does factory overclocking really make a difference in the overall noise? I assume the higher the overclock the greater the heat and noise, but in reality, is this difference noticeable?
3. Is it really worth it to spend the extra money to go with an overclock? Noise aside, will I really notice a difference in performance? Is it worth the extra money and noise (if noise is an issue with overclocking)?
4. Which card do you recommend? Why? Is there another 6870 that beats these two in overall noise and performance?