The Quietest 560Ti

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Urban Reflex

The Quietest 560Ti

Post by Urban Reflex » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:40 am

I'm in the market for a 560Ti, but I want the quietest one. I've seen this topic kind've bashed to death but no clear winner seems to emerge, so I'd like to hear from those of you with any kind of 560Ti!

Please state the type of card it is, for example MSI Twin Frozr II or Gainward Phantom, and just how quiet you find it. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had multiple cards and can compare the two but that might be hoping a little too much!

Let's make this the definitive, final thread on the quietest 560Ti. Doesn't matter about price or performance, just silence!

gperete

Re: The Quietest 560Ti

Post by gperete » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:39 am

i have a reference card (inno3d) with an aftermarket heatsink (deepcool v6000). strapped on are two 92mm s-flexes on a fan controller. kombustor benchmark = 40'c delta on the slowest speed that the kaze q fan controller will go

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:11 pm

No such thing as a quiet 560ti from a manufacturer. You'll have to like the previous poster said and go with a 3rd party cooling solution. You might as well get the cheapest, noisiest 560ti you can find then replace the heatsink. If you've got the space a thermalright shaman (or similar) with a slow spinning 140mm fan will beat any reference card for noise

swaaye

Post by swaaye » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:19 pm

I suspect that the Palit is a version of the Gainward Phantom, which is arguably the quietest factory GTX 560 Ti for those areas of the world where you can buy Palit/Gainward. Those two 80mm fans on the Palit should be idling at around 1200 rpm. If that really isn't quiet enough, it should be possible to edit the BIOS to drop that figure even lower to 1000 rpm or less.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi, I have Gigabyte GTX560Ti OC and as stock it has great temps but was very noisy. The heatsink is quite hefty and has 4 heatpipes in it, got potential. It would idle the twin 80mm fans at 1700rpm, at idle with 32°C GPU temps..... :roll:
A quick, free, BIOS mod later and then idled fans at 700~800 (I think) but still got loud on load due to agressive fan ramp profile and 3000rpm capable fans.
I then swapped the stock fans for a pair of 80mm 2000rpm Sharkoon "Golfball" fans, these would idle right down ~500rpm, dead quiet and heavy load up in the 1600rpm range, but with great temps and possibilty of trading temp for noise with MSI Afterburner or the like.

I've now got an Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II on it. This is a large, 5 heatpipe, 92mm twin fan job. Currently card running Folding@home and has been for hours.
GPU-Z reports the GPU temp at a cool 60°C and the fan speed at 810rpm. A pair of good 92mm fans at that speed are very quiet and in all honesty could be dropped to 650~700 and still have reasonable temps.

The Phantom (and Pallit too I guess) will be the quietest stock cards but I suspect my BIOS modded Gigabyte (also cheapest 560 Ti at time) would be comparable and with swapped fans (£10) probably quieter.
With the Twin Turbo on it and BIOS mod it's now under the noise of rest of the PC and I suspect pretty much anyone's PC, that has the power to *need* a GTX 560Ti anyway.

Now if I could just cool the CPU more quietly... but I already have the biggest heatsink that will fit my case. Maybe I need a better case, or less over-clock but 4.5GHz seems like a nice round number :wink:

Seb

Swedishoyster

Post by Swedishoyster » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:13 am

I'm a "silent gamer" and very happy with my system performance/noise level, except when it comes to the graphics card, it's both a tad on the weak side and quite noisy when gaming. See my signature for the specificatonson my system.
I'm looing for a card that will give me an average 60fps@1280x1200 in Star Wars: The Old Republic, during the beta test this graphics card didn't quite manage that. So GTX 560 Ti seems like a good upgrade and I was planning on the MSI Twon Frozr when I read this post, now I'm torn between the Gainward Phantom and the Palit mentioned above. The Palit is a bit cheaper here in Sweden but the large webshops that I trust only carries the Gainward, I also never heard of Palit before so I'm a bit concerned about quality, warranty etc.
Also, would I gain anything by getting the 2 GB version?

I'm not very keen on getting a thrid party fan, I rather buy the best available card with the best cooling solution.

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Palit and Gainward about the same.
Swedishoyster wrote:I'm not very keen on getting a thrid party fan, I rather buy the best available card with the best cooling solution.
That's a contradiction and makes about as much sense as saying you want to "buy the best Intel CPU with the best cooling solution". You want the stock cooler aimed at Joe Average who isn't assumed to have have proper enthuasist level case cooling? Fine, but don't expect the best, most quiet cooling solution.

As for the card itself, even after undervolting the BIOS performance mode vcore, nVidia cards aren't that efficient for silent computing. Consider an HD 6950 for an upgrade.

Swedishoyster

Post by Swedishoyster » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:48 pm

echn111 wrote:Palit and Gainward about the same.
Swedishoyster wrote:I'm not very keen on getting a thrid party fan, I rather buy the best available card with the best cooling solution.
That's a contradiction and makes about as much sense as saying you want to "buy the best Intel CPU with the best cooling solution". You want the stock cooler aimed at Joe Average who isn't assumed to have have proper enthuasist level case cooling? Fine, but don't expect the best, most quiet cooling solution.

As for the card itself, even after undervolting the BIOS performance mode vcore, nVidia cards aren't that efficient for silent computing. Consider an HD 6950 for an upgrade.
Sorry poor phrasing, I meant that since I don't want to change the fan on the graphics card and voiding my warranty, I rather buy the GTX560Ti card with the best available cooling solution already in place, this thread lead me to beleive that it was either the Phantom or the Palit. I'm pretty set to get the 560Ti, but will surely take another look on AMD 6950 only there doesn't seem to be any Phantom-like fans around for those?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Swedishoyster wrote:....I'm torn between the Gainward Phantom and the Palit mentioned above. The Palit is a bit cheaper here in Sweden but the large webshops that I trust only carries the Gainward, I also never heard of Palit before so I'm a bit concerned about quality, warranty etc. Also, would I gain anything by getting the 2 GB version?
Gainward and Palit are brand names from the same company. I have bought both Gainward and Palit cards in the past and they have been fine. Gainward/Palit often use a custom circuit board which is shorter than the standard, and Gainward has tended recently to be associated with quieter cards such as the Phantom.

According to techPowerUp http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Pali ... bo/26.html the Palit 560 Ti does seem to be somewhat quieter than most other graphics cards including the AMD HD 6950. It is either a Palit version of the Gainward Phantom or something quite similar to it.

The only advantage of the 2 GB version is that in some games if you use DirectX 11 and maximum/ultra settings then more than 1 GB of video memory can be used, so potentially you could gain some performance in exchange for a slightly higher initial purchasing price.

gperete

Post by gperete » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:56 am

gperete wrote:i have a reference card (inno3d) with an aftermarket heatsink (deepcool v6000). strapped on are two 92mm s-flexes on a fan controller. kombustor benchmark = 40'c delta on the slowest speed that the kaze q fan controller will go

ive now changed the cooler on this card to an antec 620 strapped on with zipties along with two kama flow 2's @ 700 rpm or so. cooler than ever plus the heat goes straight outside the case. would have been perfect except when i put my ear right next to the pump, i hear what i can only describe as the corner of a piece of paper constantly hitting a fan. at arms length however, i cant hear the sound anymore.