Gainward GTX 460 SE and Deepcool V6000 fitting problem

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vitoldus

Gainward GTX 460 SE and Deepcool V6000 fitting problem

Post by Vitoldus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:50 am

Good people of silent computing community,

I recently upgraqded my graphics card to Gainward GeForce GTX 460 (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gain ... _SE/3.html). After a few days I decided that the card is way too noisy, and (after checking compatibility) I ordered a Deepcool V6000 for it from SilentPC.

All excited I took the stock cooler off, tried to fit the new fancy heat sink - and here a huge disappointment - it doesn't fit. It looks like the GPU is too close to the DVI ports and the heat pipes simply won't fit in there.

I contacted the shop asking them to recommend a replacement cooler and got a response:
it’s very likely that your card doesn’t adhere to the reference designs and as a result none of our coolers will fit. Sorry about that.
Not exactly what I was expecting. So my question is - what cooler can I get to run my GTX 460 SE quietly? Or how can I modify the V6000 to fit? I can return it and spend £10 on postage and get something else. Also, I am looking for something that won't cost me an arm a leg - I am trying to do it without spending a ton of money.

I am not a hardcore gamer, but I would spend a few hours at a time playing Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2. On a stock cooler I ran my card overclocked by about 15%, currently I am running it without overclock and with 120mm Arctic Cooling fan @ 12V instead of stock fan. Quieter than the original setup but too running too hot - 61C when gaming, but getting much hotter on benchmarks.

Any help much appreciated.

PMcG

Re: Gainward GTX 460 SE and Deepcool V6000 fitting problem

Post by PMcG » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:23 am

The way the heatpipes are set up with the deepcool it does seem impossble to modify it. Check out the Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo 2 http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/3 ... tml?c=2182 it looks as though you could cut the aluminum at the end to allow the DVI port in the middle (such a dumb placement on that card) to fit and it is listed as being compatible with the 460 so mounting holes should be correct. I don't have any experience with this cooler though this is just based on my observations, you may need to re secure the shroud holding the fans since it looks like it may clip there. Good luck with this!