Squealing Videocard under 3Dmark or Furmark

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

karkee

Squealing Videocard under 3Dmark or Furmark

Post by karkee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:36 am

so I bought the GTX 670 gigabyte version, the fans are nice and quiet even under load BUT there is some weird electronical buzzing/rattling&squealing noise when using furmark or 3Dmark 2011. The same thing happens with another card The Asus GTX 670 that I tested.

I already tried 4 diffrent PSU's and from other brands, another mobo asus & gigabyte, other ram.

In our store I tested 2 gaming machines aswell with ATI cards & antec PSU, both of them did the same.

Then I went on testing my old rig that was really silent as I never heard this before, but this rig did this aswell. Only tested it with 3Dmark 2011 and furmark maybi these put the system at such big load that the squael/rattlign is normal?

Is there anyone who can test this with a current card or setup and see if the same thing happens when you listen closely to the PC?

I don't know how to solve this problem as it seems it can't be solved lol

mkk

Re: Squealing Videocard under 3Dmark or Furmark

Post by mkk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 am

As long as it sticks to squealing under heavy load at least it might be a limited problem.
Make sure you're running the computer off an earthed socket, just a general advice often overlooked.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Re: Squealing Videocard under 3Dmark or Furmark

Post by SebRad » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi, it's sadly common place for high end video cards to make electronic noise under heavy load, I've seen case where it also causes the PSU to squeal too! Typically under stress tests eg Furmark etc or compute loads like Folding@home. My experience is the higher-end the card the more likely it is to do it.

With PSUs there is s a lot of variation and you can get a "good one" that doesn't. More expensive/better quality helps, some models better than others but after that it's almost luck!

I had a GTX260 that was pretty bad and I more-or-less cured it with a lot of super-glue! Similarly with a GTX285 too, my current GTX560 Ti has a very high pitched squeal under folding@home, some units are worse than others, mostly its quiet enough to ignore. I've not tried to see if I can improve it as it's nothing like as loud as the GTX 2xx cards were.

Good luck!
Seb