coolmax 4000 fans

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

karatedebili

coolmax 4000 fans

Post by karatedebili » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Hello there,

I have a Palit GTX 560ti card which uses a zerotherm coolmax 4000 cooler. I’ve bought the card second hand after reading the forums that the fan is near silent when idlle, but the fans are very noisy, I also hear a strange pitch occationaly...I’t probably was damaged during transport.. So I’d like to ask for advice by exhchanging the fans, by some new ones which are more quiet. the cooler originally uses two PLA08015S12H fan as mentioned in:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... html#sect0

I’d like to ask - with what kind of fans these could be swapped?
thank you

edh

Re: coolmax 4000 fans

Post by edh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 am

You'll struggle to fit any fans into that gap. What's the thickness? They are an openframe design which means you're unlikely to find something the same.

Instead, have you got space on the outside of the heatsink? Then just zip tie on a 120mm fan and that should do the trick.

As for the high pitch noise, if it's a sort of squealing sound under load then that's probably the card, not the fans. A lot of high powered cards do this.

karatedebili

Re: coolmax 4000 fans

Post by karatedebili » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:46 am

edh wrote:You'll struggle to fit any fans into that gap. What's the thickness? They are an openframe design which means you're unlikely to find something the same.

Instead, have you got space on the outside of the heatsink? Then just zip tie on a 120mm fan and that should do the trick.

As for the high pitch noise, if it's a sort of squealing sound under load then that's probably the card, not the fans. A lot of high powered cards do this.

Hello,
thaks for your reaction. which gap do you mean please? I thought i’ll separate the cooler from the card for the fan replacement and re-fit it with a new layer of thermal paste...

adding a new fan to the outside is something I’m considering too but I’m affraid it wo’t be as effective as the original possition of the fans (inside).

I’ll check if the pitch noise is there after the fans are disconnected thanks.