Open vs closed graphics card for TJ08-e

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pepsican

Open vs closed graphics card for TJ08-e

Post by Pepsican » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:52 am

Hi

I've got the following set of questions regarding a graphics card for my case, the Silverstone Temjin TJ08-e. Pretty much all of the components have been ordered (see signature) but I can't decide on the videocard. No matter how much I google, I can't find an answer to the following questions.

The manual of the case suggest a closed card design that blows the hot air out of the case. So, a reference card model. But according to the tests/reviews, these are typically louder than the custom cards like Asus' GTX670. Using a card that is open will blow the hot air into the case though. And given that the airflow is going from front to back, the hot air will go up and I may get a hot-air pocket in the top of the case. So, what would be the impact on the future when I would want to add an additional PCI card (either for an SLI/Crossfire set up or some expansion card for bluetooth or something)?

Would that PCI card become too hot? Or will the openings in the top rear of the case manage to provide enough ventilation to let the air out? Does anybody have a similar type set up? And what kind of graphics card did you choose and why?

Cards I'm looking at are the GTX670 4Gb and HD7970. Thanks for your help!

tim851

Re: Open vs closed graphics card for TJ08-e

Post by tim851 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:26 pm

1) I would get a custom-cooler GPU, like the Asus DCUII or Gigabyte whatever.
2) There won't be a hot pocket in the case ceiling. The big 180mm fan, no matter if intake (standard) or outtake (my proposition, see below) should create enough airflow to prevent this.
3) I would flip the front fan in the TJ08-E. Make the airflow back-to-front. I've done this a couple of times now - for other cases. According to my findings, a front intake fan does not create as much airflow across the GPU(s) as a front outtake fan. In the latter setup, air is more reliably drawn through the (open/ventilated) PCI-slot covers. YMMV though.

Pepsican

Re: Open vs closed graphics card for TJ08-e

Post by Pepsican » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks for the reassurance! Not sure if I want to go through the trouble of reversing the air flow though. I'd need to add some dust filters as well. Not sure if it is worth the trouble.