Quitest VGA Cooler

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vinnydude

Quitest VGA Cooler

Post by Vinnydude » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:46 am

I'm after reducing the noise levels on my HD6870 graphics card, it's still running stock at the moment. Water cooling is out of the question as I plain can't afford it! (Unless they've got an all in one unit like the H70 that I have on my cpu :D)

I've been looking and the only one that I found that I wanted has been discontinued! lol. Just my luck :D

I was looking at the Thermalright Shaman. It's been the lowest noise and also the best at keeping temperatures down that I've managed to find so far. But as I said, they no longer sell them :(

I've had a look through the other Thermalright products and nothing seems to come close to the Shaman.

Any suggestions?

edh

Re: Quitest VGA Cooler

Post by edh » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 am

Vinnydude wrote:Water cooling is out of the question as I plain can't afford it! (Unless they've got an all in one unit like the H70 that I have on my cpu :D)
Water cooling is unlikely to be quiet anyway. General experience here is that the noise of pumps outweighs quiet fans, hence why even things like the H70 aren't generally the quietest either.

If you've done nothing to your card then it might be worth looking at the undervolting approach first to drop the power. Then you can drop the fan speeds too.

How about the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme III?

Vinnydude

Post by Vinnydude » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 am

Dropping the voltage on the fans isn't a great idea, the card runs pretty hot anyway just with the stock fan!

Just wish more of the manufacturers included a Db rating on their coolers!

I've been looking at a few of the Accellero cards and also the Gelid Icy Vision.

Also, I have some nice super quiet fans strapped to my H70 so I barely hear a peep out of it! Its only the graphics card which is loud in my case now.

Vinnydude

Post by Vinnydude » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 am

realised as soon as I'd sent that, that you meant under volting the card not the fans! lol. It's been a long week :P

I'd rather just get a better cooler that will be quieter and more efficient :)

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 am

I can recommend the arctic cooling accelero xtreme 7970. Very silent despite having 3 fans and cools very well. Costs a bit and takes a while to install and the glue they provide takes 5 hours to dry according to the manual but it's more like 24... But it's awesome after installing is done. (I installed mine today :D )

I tried connecting my old extreme 5870 fans to 5v and I have to be closer than 20cm to hear them. And that's in a very silent room.