Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: GTX 750Ti sips power

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Well shoot. Thanks for confirming, ojg.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:03 am

ojg wrote:Hopefully there will be an update that includes full Maxwell support as well. Maybe we have to wait until more hardcore gaming Maxwell cards are on the market.

If I were you, I would forget about that: two years have past without any relevant actual advance (the old Fermi's days have gone...).

ojg
Friend of SPCR

Post by ojg » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:40 am

I got a quick reply from Hilbert at Guru3D who confirmed that "fan turn off at idle" was indeed a copy error in the review template. He has now corrected all the reviews and he is sorry for the confusion.

darthcloud

Post by darthcloud » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 am

Someone report the Palit variant to be dead silent on EVGA forum, anyone else tried one of those card?

http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=2253
http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=2252
http://www.palit.biz/event/promote/2014 ... /index.php

Hard to figure out which manufacturer make quiet card out of the box!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 am

darthcloud wrote:Someone report the Palit variant to be dead silent on EVGA forum, anyone else tried one of those card?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67173

diver

Post by diver » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:45 am

darthcloud wrote:Someone report the Palit variant to be dead silent on EVGA forum, anyone else tried one of those card?

I have the same question since no passive cards are out yet. Which Palit of the two, by the way.

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:56 am

ojg, can you tell me what is the total length of MSI card without fan holder?
I will probably try to put it into Cooltek U2 (Jansbo), thats why I'm asking.

darthcloud

Post by darthcloud » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:11 am

diver wrote:

I have the same question since no passive cards are out yet. Which Palit of the two, by the way.
He didn't specified, but I'll assume he was talking about the dual-fan one since it was in the EVGA FTW thread.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Eneen wrote:ojg, can you tell me what is the total length of MSI card without fan holder?
I will probably try to put it into Cooltek U2 (Jansbo), thats why I'm asking.

It's the longest 750ti available, PCB is a tad under 21cm.

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 am

Thank you, it will fit then, that chassis takes 22cm gfx lenght

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:06 am

Eneen wrote:Thank you, it will fit then, that chassis takes 22cm gfx lenght

Providing you won't use the Twin Frozr heatsink, with what will you cool that card?
IMHO an U3 is a better option (even if I rather the maybe bigger W1).

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:56 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Eneen wrote:Thank you, it will fit then, that chassis takes 22cm gfx lenght

Providing you won't use the Twin Frozr heatsink, with what will you cool that card?
IMHO an U3 is a better option (even if I rather the maybe bigger W1).
I need smallest chassis possible. MSI PCB is little smaller then heatsink, without fan holder hopefully it will fit. MSI has also largest stock heatsink available. Accelero S1 plus is too large.
I will most probably attach slipstream 120 PWM to chassis fan port (I use asrock B85M-ITX) to have some airflow.
I doubt that there will be passive version, I own 7750 Ultimate now and consumes about 40W, 750Ti has about 60W (correct me if I'm wrong please) so requires larger heatsink...

EDIT:
I've decided to go with node 304 and accelero S1...

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:17 pm

What is default voltage of 750ti 1020MHz core?
Can voltage/clocks profiles be adjusted (lowered) in drivers or I will need to install manufacturer software? (sorry for such question, I own ATI now)...

kernalkue

Post by kernalkue » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:48 am

I have successfully installed an Arctic Accelero S1 Plus VGA Cooler to an MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (N750Ti-2GD5/OC).

Obviously it's now completely silent and I'm blown away by the performance.

I'm slowly turning n noisy old media tower into a silent HTPC. I've changed the case to a Silverstone GD08 and have now replaced the graphics card. The 750Ti has *just* fit into the case and is connected via a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.

So far I've been unable to cause any overheating issues at all, highest I've managed has been 50C. It idles in the twenties.

It's playing WoW on ultra (where possible) settings at 1920x1080 without any problems.

Please let me know if anyone wants any more information or for me to run a specific test.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:28 am

Eneen wrote:What is default voltage of 750ti 1020MHz core?
Can voltage/clocks profiles be adjusted (lowered) in drivers or I will need to install manufacturer software? (sorry for such question, I own ATI now)...
There is no default as each gfx card mfgr sets their own core voltage vs freq and 2D/3D apps. Techpowerup and some others show these settings in their reviews.

MSI Afterburner is a utility than may allow you to set up a voltage profile...at least it can for MSI cards.

kernalkue: congrats on your passive mod. WoW has a video setting to framerate limit to 60Hz. So, you might try that out and see if your temps drop further. I use it with my 760 and it drastically cuts power use without affecting gameplay.

diver

Post by diver » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:15 pm

kernalkue wrote: Obviously it's now completely silent and I'm blown away by the performance.

Please let me know if anyone wants any more information or for me to run a specific test.
Did you encounter any issues, like having to enlarge holes in the video card?

kernalkue

Post by kernalkue » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 pm

diver wrote:Did you encounter any issues, like having to enlarge holes in the video card?
I thought I might, but no.

I had to seat the heatsink slightly low of centre for it to line up with the hole options on the supplied brackets, but the thermal contact has proved very good. I did buy separate thermal paste and remove the pre-applied paste that comes with the cooler. Also the thermal adhesive that they supply for the mini-heatsinks for the other chips on the board was rubbish and wouldn't harden for me, so I bought some Arctic Silver Alumina Adhesive Thermal Paste.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:26 am

Not directly related to the 750Ti, but this (bad?) news is concerning both nVidia and AMD: no 20 nm GPUs this year.
http://www.techpowerup.com/200061/nvidi ... in-q4.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/200089/no-20 ... -year.html

cooler

Post by cooler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:16 pm

From what I've seen the MSI's should be the quietest out of the box, but I can't find any comparison between their two models.
Can someone comment on which model makes less noise the "twin frozr" or the single fan?

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N750Ti_TF_2GD5OC.html
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N750Ti2GD5OC.html

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:08 am

cooler wrote:From what I've seen the MSI's should be the quietest out of the box, but I can't find any comparison between their two models.
Can someone comment on which model makes less noise the "twin frozr" or the single fan?

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N750Ti_TF_2GD5OC.html
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N750Ti2GD5OC.html
Welcome to SPCR!

Based on my own 650 Ti and hearing some TwinFrozrs, my money would be on the TwinFrozr being quieter. MSI has apparently done a good job of making the TwinFrozr quiet in indle and under load, and it definitely sports the more efficient heatsink of the two. The budget models are not bad, but they just don't receive the attention and polish the premier models like Gaming do.

cooler

Post by cooler » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 am

Das_Saunamies wrote: Welcome to SPCR!
Thanks! and thanks for your input. :)
However, it looks like I won't be buying the TwinFrozrs because of it's width. Unless I'm reading the specs wrong, it seems a couple of mm wide for the Grandia GD04.
My bad, I've only checked the length before.. :oops:

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Mon May 05, 2014 8:01 am

While a number of people in the forum recommend 750Ti, after researching several issues, I tend to think it is not advisable to purchase any graphics cards at the moment, or rather to postpone buying them as long as possible because:

(1) It looks like Nvidia released 750Ti in a hasty manner without properly paying due attention to the design details because most 750Ti cards are equipped with non-PWM fans which make it almost impossible to finely control PWM fans of aftermarket coolers.
(2) Still worse, whether you venture into the risky realm of aftermarket coolers or not, at the time of writing, the fan section of ALL 750Ti BIOSes is not editable (without a single exception) unlike that of 660/760 cards, meaning that the minimun fan speed, though varying with different vendors, are around 900-1000 rpms, which are far from silence.

It strikes me that Nvidia intentionally released half-fledged cards as precursors to proper Maxwell-based cards to be released in 2015, only to timely deter the pontential dominance of AMD. I would personally recommend not to purchase any graphics card for the time being if you are not playing games right now.
lodestar wrote:In terms of supporting the latest NVIDIA cards NiBiTor never got much further than the GTX 560. So modifying the BIOS for NVidia 6xx cards has meant using something else, such as Kepler Bios Tweaker. I have downloaded the BIOS for a couple of 750Ti cards, the EVGA 02G-P4-3751-KR and the MSI N750Ti-2GD5/OC (the Gaming model) from the TechPowerUp VGA BIOS collection and tried them with the Kepler BIOS Tweaker. The good news is that the BIOS does seem to be editable. The bad news is that in both instances the settings under the Fan Control Range section are greyed out, so that adjusting fan speeds using a BIOS edit seems to be completely out with the 750Ti. I tried a third BIOS, the one for the Palit StormX Dual with the same result, no control over fan speeds.

edh

Post by edh » Mon May 05, 2014 9:10 am

ggumdol wrote:While a number of people in the forum recommend 750Ti, after researching several issues, I tend to think it is not advisable to purchase any graphics cards at the moment, or rather to postpone buying them as long as possible because:

(1) It looks like Nvidia released 750Ti in a hasty manner without properly paying due attention to the design details because most 750Ti cards are equipped with non-PWM fans which make it almost impossible to finely control PWM fans of aftermarket coolers.
(2) Still worse, whether you venture into the risky realm of aftermarket coolers or not, at the time of writing, the fan section of ALL 750Ti BIOSes is not editable (without a single exception) unlike that of 660/760 cards, meaning that the minimun fan speed, though varying with different vendors, are around 900-1000 rpms, which are far from silence.
It does have a far smaller TDP than other options so I don't really think these issues are major. The default fans aren't that bad and all of these cards can easily be cooled passively with an Accelero S1 Plus. The options for hacking coolers are also very good for a card with this sort of TDP - an old Socket A heatsink with a 5V fan would even work. I'm sure a stock Intel cooler would work wonders as well. Quietness of stock coolers is of no concern to me as I have never left them on. :twisted:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 am

ggumdol wrote:1) No PWM.
2) No control over BIOS limits.
Thanks for the research.

I can verify that the budget MSI card at least uses a 2-pin fan, but its big brother Gaming uses good old 4-pin for PWM. On TPU, 2 out of the 3 cards reviewed use PWM (Asus and MSI, Palit being the odd one out).

The MSI budget card was the cheapest 2 GB 750 Ti I could find in the stores I use, retailing at €145.90. The Gaming model, however, was a mere €4 more at 149.90. An Asus model priced at €126.90 with 1 GB was the cheapest 750 Ti available... and it uses a 4-pin fan.

The PWM is out there, whatever your price range, and you can always use system power or go passive as edh pointed out. Points 1 and 2 not a problem, though the latter is as regrettable as ever. Manufacturers just don't get it yet. :mrgreen:

Filias Cupio

Post by Filias Cupio » Fri May 09, 2014 3:01 am

The Accelero S1 is not compatible with GTX 750. Are there any passive heatsinks out there which are?

(Maybe the next version of S1 will have mounting hardware for 750, but I'm just guessing at that. I asked Arctic Cooling about this by e-mail, all they did was send me a list of compatible coolers, none of which were passive. http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/produ ... ex/?id=272)

kernalkue

Post by kernalkue » Fri May 09, 2014 3:06 am

Filias Cupio wrote:The Accelero S1 is not compatible with GTX 750. Are there any passive heatsinks out there which are?)
I admit that it wasn't a "perfect fit", but I found mounting it to my 750Ti pretty easy and it has been working flawlessly.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 am

Filias Cupio wrote:The Accelero S1 is not compatible with GTX 750. Are there any passive heatsinks out there which are?
I would imagine the Accelero Mono PLUS could be run passively on a 750. There's a good 300 g of heatsink with 5 heatpipes in it, which should suffice. The S1 is more suited for the task thanks to its wider fin spacing, but it only sports some 100 g of extra sink AND the S1 can cool OC'd midrange cards (despite Arctic's site claiming you need the fan module).

PS. For comparison's sake, I pulled the data for the hottest 7850 and the hottest 750 Ti off of TPU.
7850: http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD ... aximum.gif
750 Ti: http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Palit/GTX_750 ... aximum.gif
Seeing as even the Maximum possible consumption TPU could get out of the cards is 40 W (or 50%) apart, I wouldn't think the task insurmountable for the Accelero Mono PLUS.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri May 09, 2014 5:47 am

Filias Cupio wrote:I asked Arctic Cooling about this by e-mail, all they did was send me a list of compatible coolers, none of which were passive. http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/produ ... ex/?id=272)

IMO/IME Arctic Cooling customer service has often proved to be just ridiculous.

When I asked them whether I could mount the S1 Plus on the FirePro V3900 and V4900 professional video cards, or not, well, they promptly told me that it was not possible.

As a matter of fact I mounted the S1 Plus on both those cards, flawlessly (and I wrote down to them they are just incompetent people).

So ask to whom has mounted the S1 Plus onto the GTX 750Ti, and not to them, how to do so.

edh

Post by edh » Fri May 09, 2014 8:25 am

Filias Cupio wrote:The Accelero S1 is not compatible with GTX 750.
Not listed as compatible but that doesn't mean you can't do it anyway. I've been screwing big lumps of aluminium to things that aren't supposed to take them for years and never had any permanent damage but accept it invalidates any warranty.
quest_for_silence wrote:and I wrote down to them they are just incompetent people
They're working for a company. If the company line is that it is compatible with specific models, they won't tell you that it's compatible with another model. What if they hadn't tested it on the card and told you it was OK and you then tried it and ended up burning your house down? Their products will also be CE marked and that CE mark might be specific to certain models in which they then aren't allowed to say anything else or they risk losing the CE mark. They're not incomptent, they just have a level of corporate responsibility.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri May 09, 2014 8:54 am

edh wrote:They're not incomptent, they just have a level of corporate responsibility.

Nowadays corporate level responsibility = no responsiblity at all.

IMO/IME they are just incompetent, as they don't care to know what they're dealing with.

All in all, what matters are the mounting holes, and from a practical standpoint AC don't do anything else than checking that correspondance when they release a new compatibility list (so no rocket science, extensive testing, or any UE lobbying: I would add that as their products come from Far East, there are chances that CE mark actually means "China Export").

But the Customer Support people, at their corporate level of responsibility, just don't care to do anything more than shallowy repeating what's already written on their web pages: so they actually give no support, and that's ridiculous.