So, which version of the 980ti is the quietest?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

antiatavist

So, which version of the 980ti is the quietest?

Post by antiatavist » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:25 am

From MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac...

It would also be nice if it has great cooling too, so the temp never goes above 70c, it would be wise to keep the longevity of these very expensive cards.

boost

Re: So, which version of the 980ti is the quietest?

Post by boost » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:24 am

Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream ?
On my card, I kept the original cooler and replaced just the fans with two 92mm Noctuas. No more scratchy sounds from the original fans and lower noise overall.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:54 am

My son just got a [EVGA] and the fan controller failed within 3 or 4 days of installing it. He gets the replacement today.

[Corrected brand]

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:27 am

Yes, it looks like Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super JetStream is the overall winner in performance, noise and cooling.

I'm sure that if you put it in something like Fortress FT05 the cooling and noise results would be even better.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 am

Seems this gen of cards are a little more noisy than past gens in terms of load. Cards like MSI GTX780Ti that was considered by techpowerup as one of the best cards ever made, didnt have the same luck on the MSI GTX980Ti. If you trust Techpowerup reviews, then one that seems better compared to the MSI was the EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ 6 GB

Now judging by Guru3d, the palit seems the quietest 38 vs 39 of the MSI on load, gigabyte seems around 42, one thing to keep in mind on the palit is some have expressed coil whine on their cards, so if its something that bothers you, should take that into account, MSI in the other hand uses their own PCB and voltage regulation design, weather or not its coil proof idk, but on mine i cant hear any electrical noise.

Something that reviews don't tell you is the sonic signature of the fans, that no one but you can judge if its good enough or not. For example i used to own a couple of Asus GTX970, and they are fine below 2k rpms, but once you SLI them and load them.... its very easy to pass on 2k rpms on the first gpu, and becomes very noticeable, under the same scenario, i swapped the GTX970 for MSI GTX980Ti Gaming, and the results are very good, much quieter under the same games, the fans don't need to ramp up as much as with the Asus to keep the same temps, and the sonic signature of the MSI 100mm fans is better to my ears than the Asus 80mm.

That said, it really depends on each person, and what they can tolerate, i would suggest that if you want a very quiet setup, keep open to go aftermarket with something like Prolimatech MK-26 Multi-VGA Cooler, it handle hot gpus like GTX480 fine, so taking care of GTX980ti should be very easy for it, and you can chose your own fans.

monkey12

Post by monkey12 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Is the noise difference between the 980ti and the 980 noticeable on MSI and Asus cards when under gaming load? Is it worth going Ti from a noise perspective?

Thanks

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:54 pm

This is the card my son has:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA ... i_SC_Plus/

The fan controller died after just 4 days, and he just got the replacement unit today. He is running F@H at mid-power and the fans are at 50% with the GPU temp in the 62-63C. The air temp is fairly cool this evening - it is about 68F / 20C. At least, it doesn't have the coil screaming, like his Zotac GTX 970 and Seasonic Platinum 520W did.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:48 am

Hi, Hexus.net have reviewed a few GTX 980Tis, including recently the Palit Super JetStream and the quietest in their tests is Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 Ti iChill X3 Ultra.
Review here
From the Hexus review:
Noise levels are, for the most part, wonderfully low. Inno3D's three fans turn off completely at low load and barely make a whisper when gaming. Perusing our log files reveals that fan speed peaked at 34 per cent during testing - that translates to just 1,000RPM, which is very nice and quiet, and we like the fact that Inno3D's fan profile ramps-up gradually.

There are no sudden changes in fan speed and if you're wanting a high-end card with a well-tuned cooler, the iChill X3 is one of the best. The catch? Well, the card's fans are so quiet that coil whine becomes more evident, and though the amount of whine will inevitably vary from one sample to the next, our review card did tend to shriek in certain games.
They did have less coil whine in the Super JetStream model they reviewed, I've no idea if this is representative or sample variance and luck of the draw.
I do know that I had a couple of GTX260s with bad coil whine that I fixed with super glue!
Of course this will void any warranty and may cause damage to the card but for me it worked, twice. Basically using cheap thin generic 'super glue' I poured it around and under all the 'VRM' components on the board, the theory being once stuck down solidly they can't move and make noise, or at least very much dampens the effect.

Regards, Seb

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:15 am

Has anyone bothered to make a graph just comparing all the 980ti cards between each other, on temperature, performance and noise?

So...MSI, Zotac, Palit, Gigabyte, Inno3D, Asus, EVGA.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 pm

According to that review,
Full-on gaming will have the card reach 31 dBA, which is by far the best noise result for any GTX 980 Ti tested so far. This makes the card quieter than the watercooled AMD R9 Fury X, so if you are looking to build a quiet high-end gaming system, this is the card to get.
The bad side.....
Not available in the United States
And its not viable for me, because of the triple slot + SLI, but for single card seems pretty solid as long as you can get it.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks, Abula.

Do you think of as I live in Brazil that restriction of unavailable for America is irrelevant?

Where to purchase this one with shipping to Brazil?

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:11 pm

lb_felipe wrote:Do you think of as I live in Brazil that restriction of unavailable for America is irrelevant?
Really depends on where you buy, im in Guatemala, most of what i buy is from the US.
lb_felipe wrote:Where to purchase this one with shipping to Brazil?
Im sure others can help you more here, i don't purchase much from europe/asia.

chopsicles

Post by chopsicles » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:03 am

So, from my googling and what you people here say, I'd gathered the following hotlist for 980 TI Cards:
  1. Palit GTX 980 Ti Super JetStream 6 GB
  2. Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 Ti iChill X3 Ultra
  3. MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
  4. Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti Strix OC
MSI and Asus are rather mainstream choices. I hadn't even heard of Palit and Inno3D before searching for this.

Has anyone enough experience and know-how to set up a best of all in regards to silence and eco-friendly?

My guess now would be either the Palit or the Inno, however various reviews keep placing one or the other on the top spot.

edit fixed spelling and bbcode noob-stuff

plundh

Post by plundh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:37 pm

After trying to decide between the Asus 980Ti Strix and the Palit SuperJetstream, I ended up getting the latter after reading this thread. I mounted it vertically in a FT02 together with a 6700K/Kotetsu. It's inaudible for the most part, but fans spin up to 40-50% to keep it at 80°C under heavy load and you can just slightly detect an increase in noise. My house has a lot of ambient noise right now though, so I can't make a super good judgement. I will say that it does seem to be a little hotter/noisier than my old GTX 680/w Accelero Xtreme III which I couldn't hear. My guess is that the 3-fan solutions might have an edge.

I'm real happy with the purchase except for the one annoyance that you can't turn the LEDs off.