Any good fanless cards with 3 digital outputs?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lunadesign

Any good fanless cards with 3 digital outputs?

Post by lunadesign » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 am

I'm looking for a good, single-slot fanless card that can support three (3) 1920x1200 monitors. Any mix of HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI are fine. It's for a workstation use case with lots of 2D desktop apps (Photoshop, etc).

I currently have an double-slot Sapphire Ultimate Radeon HD 6670. It acceptable performance-wise but it's really old and I need access to the slot its blocking.

The best I've been able to find is https://www.visiontek.com/radeon-7350-s ... apter.html based on the Radeon HD 7350 but its almost as old as my current card.

It seems all of the newer cards have 2 digital outputs plus a VGA port. Sigh.

Are there any others worth looking at?

Abula

Re: Any good fanless cards with 3 digital outputs?

Post by Abula » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Well single slot, triple digital and falness... i havent seen on any. With two things yea.

If single slot is a must, and you want 3 digital and new and powerful, the best that i seen is the GALAX single-slot GeForce GTX 1070, but i bet it wont be quiet.

If you were to be fine with dual slot and triple digital outputs, Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or if you can fin the GTX750Ti of it used also has 3 digital outs.

One thing you should check also, in DP you can daisy chain, thats if you monitors support it, so that could help you chose one with fewer connections.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

The newest low end is the GT 1030...but, oddly, only 2 outputs...and while there are plenty of single slots, all of the fanless are double slot width.

Also, recent versions of Photoshop (and other Adobe apps, etc) utilize the gpu for many acceleration tasks. You may be limiting your workstation's productivity if you paint yourself into an old/slow/single slot solution.

lunadesign

Post by lunadesign » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Abula wrote:Well single slot, triple digital and falness... i havent seen on any. With two things yea.
I know....kind of a unicorn, eh? What's interesting is that there appear to be quite a few nowadays but the 3rd port always seems to be VGA on the newer ones.
Abula wrote:One thing you should check also, in DP you can daisy chain, thats if you monitors support it, so that could help you chose one with fewer connections.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, I just checked and my monitors only have a single DP port so that's out unless I want to go the hub route. I have no experience with DP daisy chaining but I would think there would be some performance or lag issues?

lunadesign

Post by lunadesign » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:01 pm

CA_Steve wrote:The newest low end is the GT 1030...but, oddly, only 2 outputs...and while there are plenty of single slots, all of the fanless are double slot width.
I might be able to make a double slot work depending on the dimensions of the card by using a PCIexpress extension cable. But oddly enough, I just checked Newegg and all of the cards they sell (I usually filter out the 3rd parties) appear to be single slots.
CA_Steve wrote:Also, recent versions of Photoshop (and other Adobe apps, etc) utilize the gpu for many acceleration tasks. You may be limiting your workstation's productivity if you paint yourself into an old/slow/single slot solution.
I had forgotten about that, probably because I'm on CS6 (I'm an old style "don't want to pay subscription" type) and the GPU effects for that version were fairly limited. Mostly effects and other features that I don't use regularly. But definitely good to keep in mind.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 pm

fanless GT 1030 cards. However, all have 2 outputs.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#F=1&c=396

lunadesign

Post by lunadesign » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:42 pm

CA_Steve wrote:fanless GT 1030 cards. However, all have 2 outputs.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#F=1&c=396
Thanks! Two of the MSI parts have one DisplayPort 1.4 each. I wonder if they support daisy chaining? How does one tell?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:27 pm

lunadesign wrote:Thanks! Two of the MSI parts have one DisplayPort 1.4 each. I wonder if they support daisy chaining? How does one tell?
Hard to say if the GT1030 can, nvidia details/spec page only say Multimonitor but not how many or even if the DP supports MST. Btw in case it does and your monitor are not MST complaint, you can get a hub, this is just an example (not saying you should buy it, research more before committing to one), SIIG DisplayPort 1.2 (MST) to 2-Port DisplayPort

Another thing to try also, not sure if it will work on your setup though, in the past when you plugged a dedicated GPU the iGPU would turn off to avoid issues (sandy bridge days), but someone in sim racing said that the newer mobos can have both gpus enable and that windows would see the screens connected to each gpu, personally i haven't tried it, but there are some that say it works fine.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:42 am

Abula wrote:Another thing to try also, not sure if it will work on your setup though, in the past when you plugged a dedicated GPU the iGPU would turn off to avoid issues (sandy bridge days), but someone in sim racing said that the newer mobos can have both gpus enable and that windows would see the screens connected to each gpu, personally i haven't tried it, but there are some that say it works fine.
Yeah, that should work - it slipped my mind. Lunadesign - pick a vendor with a great return policy and give it a try.