Silencing Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sockeye
Friend of SPCR

Silencing Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO

Post by sockeye » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:24 am

This card has a noisy little 40mm HSF on the GPU. has anyone here silenced one of these. I am thinking a little Zalman ZM-NB32J Northbridge HS would probably be enough.

What do folks think? Might that do the trick (without a fan)? I have one PCI slot I can give up.

thanks,

John

al bundy

Re: Silencing Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO

Post by al bundy » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:45 am

sockeye wrote:This card has a noisy little 40mm HSF on the GPU. has anyone here silenced one of these. I am thinking a little Zalman ZM-NB32J Northbridge HS would probably be enough.

What do folks think? Might that do the trick (without a fan)? I have one PCI slot I can give up.

thanks,

John
Those are great vid-cards, that's for sure! I recommend you use a Zalman ZM17-CU on it instead, which should cool even better and also needs no fan with that card. I've done this with a Radeon 64 VIVO and it works great - even on the later 'SE' edition of that card (which has the faster RAM).

Good luck!

8)

Riffer

Re: Silencing Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO

Post by Riffer » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:15 pm

al bundy wrote:
sockeye wrote:This card has a noisy little 40mm HSF on the GPU. has anyone here silenced one of these. I am thinking a little Zalman ZM-NB32J Northbridge HS would probably be enough.

thanks,

John
Those are great vid-cards, that's for sure! I recommend you use a Zalman ZM17-CU on it instead, which should cool even better and also needs no fan with that card. I've done this with a Radeon 64 VIVO and it works great - even on the later 'SE' edition of that card (which has the faster RAM).

Good luck!

8)
Agreed,

I had both the ZM-NB32 (the original version that completely covers the GPU) and the ZM17-CU on my AIW Radeon 32MB DDR. Both did a pretty good job - but I had a 80mm L1A @ 5V blowing on them - the ZM17-CU did better though. Search around, you may be able to find one cheap.

lazybum131

Post by lazybum131 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:25 pm

oh i'm using a computer that has the radeon 64mb vivo right now!

I just took off the tiny fan and suspended a 80mm panaflo at 5V perpendicular to it.

But it's in my parents' computer, and i've never tried it with this cooling setup in games.