It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Silencing Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:24 am 
Friend of SPCR

This card has a noisy little 40mm HSF on the GPU. has anyone here silenced one of these. I am thinking a little Zalman ZM-NB32J Northbridge HS would probably be enough.

What do folks think? Might that do the trick (without a fan)? I have one PCI slot I can give up.

thanks,

John

Post subject: Re: Silencing Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:45 am 

sockeye wrote:
This card has a noisy little 40mm HSF on the GPU. has anyone here silenced one of these. I am thinking a little Zalman ZM-NB32J Northbridge HS would probably be enough.

What do folks think? Might that do the trick (without a fan)? I have one PCI slot I can give up.

thanks,

John

Those are great vid-cards, that's for sure! I recommend you use a Zalman ZM17-CU on it instead, which should cool even better and also needs no fan with that card. I've done this with a Radeon 64 VIVO and it works great - even on the later 'SE' edition of that card (which has the faster RAM).

Good luck!

8)

SY-TISU, PIII-S 1.4GHz @ 1.225V, SLK800A, 2 X 256MB Mushkin High Perf REV 3+, Ti4600V with ZM80A-HP, DMX 6fire LT, WinTV-Theater, Intel Pro/100 VE, SOYO VT6202, Travelstar 5K80 40GB in SilentDrive, Samsung SM-348B, Sunbeam Rheobus, Prosilence PCS-350, MegaWorks THX 2.1 250D, SX1030B

Post subject: Re: Silencing Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:15 pm 

al bundy wrote:
sockeye wrote:

thanks,

John

Those are great vid-cards, that's for sure! I recommend you use a Zalman ZM17-CU on it instead, which should cool even better and also needs no fan with that card. I've done this with a Radeon 64 VIVO and it works great - even on the later 'SE' edition of that card (which has the faster RAM).

Good luck!

8)

Agreed,

I had both the ZM-NB32 (the original version that completely covers the GPU) and the ZM17-CU on my AIW Radeon 32MB DDR. Both did a pretty good job - but I had a 80mm L1A @ 5V blowing on them - the ZM17-CU did better though. Search around, you may be able to find one cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:25 pm 

oh i'm using a computer that has the radeon 64mb vivo right now!

I just took off the tiny fan and suspended a 80mm panaflo at 5V perpendicular to it.

But it's in my parents' computer, and i've never tried it with this cooling setup in games.