They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CoolColJ

MSI passively cooled FX5600

Post by CoolColJ » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:22 pm

Rook
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rook » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:47 am

Woohoo! :D :D :D Hopefully more manufacturers start putting out passive video cards.

I'm hoping to upgrade my noisy Geforce2GTS sometime soon, and definitely want to get a new card with passive cooling.

I've had my eye on the Sapphire Ultimate Radeon 9700Pro for a while, but $500CDN is a bit out of my price range. Hopefully the 'ultimate editions' are still available when the Radeon 9700's drop to a lower price point.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:07 am

That looks promising indeed. Thanks for posting this CoolColJ!

8)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:55 pm

It uses a type of "heatpipe" technology

http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20 ... _1-05.html

bottom of the page

WarpedPlatter
Friend of SPCR

Post by WarpedPlatter » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:49 am

According to the THG article, it's filled with butane. I wonder how long it will be before one of these leaks and someone's computer explodes.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:22 pm

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/ar ... =3&aid=847

preview of it

MSI has implemented a far more efficient cooling mechanism via their Aeronautical Cooling Technology. A.C.T. for short, is actually a term coined by MSI, but the actual technology is based on the Heatlane Technology by TS Heatronics. Unlike heatpipe, Heatlane allows transfer of heat in any direction. An ideal application of it is where there isn’t sufficient room to mount large heatsinks to radiate heat at the point of the heat source is. By using Heatlane Technology, the heat-absorbing portion can be vastly separated from the heat-radiating portion. How is this possible?

Unlike traditional heat transfer material such as solid aluminum, Heatlane Technology uses a highly pressurized liquid gas as the heat transfer material such as Butane or HFC-134a. MSI’s product documentation points to the use of HFC-134a, whilst the online MSI news release states it to be Butane. Whichever is used within the Heatlane (which accepts either of them), you can be assured that both are good cooling agents. In fact, HFC-134a is a standard industry refrigerant used in an air-conditioning and refrigeration. The use of a good cooling agent and the presence of nucleate boiling – the continued cycle of heated bubbles that expand and push along with the liquid gas and release their heat at the cooler end of the Heatlane plate – gives the Heatlane the capability of transferring heat up to 70 times speedier than solid aluminum. The Heatlane plate itself can be made from aluminum, copper or other metals, but since there is no internal structure like wicks in a heat pipe, the heat transfer area and capability is very much increased.
probbaly a matter of time before this tech makes its way into cpu heatsinks and higher end video cards :)

engseng

Post by engseng » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:26 pm

Has anyone actually bought this card and is using it now? Please give us your comments?

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:13 am

Does this use the same kind of heat transfer technology as the Heatlane Zen? It would appear to be the case due to the reference to "Heatlane" which seems to be different to heatpipe technology.