Removing stock 9800pro heatsink

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Removing stock 9800pro heatsink

Post by GamingGod » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:08 am

How in the hell do u get this thing off? It appears to be held in place by two plastic tabs that pop shut when u push them through the hole. Am I suppose to cut the tabs off the back to make the heatsink fall off? Please help

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:24 am

1. Take out the card from the pc, put in antistatic bag (preferably taped shut).
2. Put bag in freezer, leave in for about 10 minutes.
3. Tag out bag, take out video card.
4. Slide a credit card inbetween heatsink and video card. Get a flat head screwdriver, and place the blade between the credit card and the heatsink.
5. Twist screwdriver. Heatsink should pop right off.
6. CAREFULLY unplug fan from the video card. May require small pair of pliers.
7. Clean off thermal goo, etc.

Worked well for me and others on this forum.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:26 am

I just pulled it off, very very easily I might add. It was scary how easy it was to remove it. I just pushed in the little plastic pins on the back and pulled it off. There is some type of silvery compound on the gpu, what should i use to clean it? Alcohol and a cotton swab or something else?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:29 am

I used a lint free cloth (about $5) from a camera store, and some 90% alcohol from Eckerds.

Cotton swab may be okay, just make sure the surface is free of any bits of cotton before you apply the new thermal goo.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:48 am

Is the green part around the core laminated??? Its impossible to get the goop off of that part, will it be ok if I leave it there?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:51 am

As long as the goop on the areas around the core is lower than the core, then you've nothing to worry about. If it's sitting up higher than the surface of the core, then the new HS won't make good contact.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:48 am

Oh, sometimes the GPU core is concave (unlike with a CPU). There are some GPUs that require more paste in the middle of the chip to make contact with the HS. Just do a test fit to make sure the paste on the chip is touching the HS.

Dethheat

Post by Dethheat » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:22 am

Use a degreaser to remove the thermal pad. Goof Off is my remover of choice. It's MUCH quicker than Alcohol. Just be sure to go over it with alcohol after removing the pad. It'll help you get the goop out of the corners.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:03 pm

Ok finally finished installing the damn zm80c. This thing is not user friendly. Maybe its just me but that was really hard to install. Hopefully my hard is still alive, im about to go test it, wish me luck, im a little worried because just a sec ago i was outside and a black cat jetted in front of me out of no where, and there are no black cats in this neighborhood.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:05 am

GamingGod wrote:...wish me luck, im a little worried because just a sec ago i was outside and a black cat jetted in front of me out of no where, and there are no black cats in this neighborhood.
You're a goner for sure.

8)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:38 am

GamingGod wrote:Ok finally finished installing the damn zm80c. This thing is not user friendly. Maybe its just me but that was really hard to install. Hopefully my hard is still alive, im about to go test it, wish me luck, im a little worried because just a sec ago i was outside and a black cat jetted in front of me out of no where, and there are no black cats in this neighborhood.
Oops, you better send me your vidcard so I can put it through a special 7 year long cycle that will remove the bad ju-ju from it. Once you get it back at the end of this 7 year period I will guarantee that it will be OK for you to use.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:35 am

If ralf wasnt one of my favorite people here I would put a hex on him right now