How to reduce noise on Asus V9560 VS card?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

webmal

How to reduce noise on Asus V9560 VS card?

Post by webmal » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:06 pm

I have an Asus V9560 Video Suite video card (bought mainly for the dual DVI ports) in my Shuttle SB61G2. The Asus is on default settings but it's unbelievably loud compared to the onboard VGA. The Zalman VGA Heatpipe solution is not suitable for my Shuttle case. I installed the Asus Smartdoctor utility then I could control the fan but my system became unstable. I Googled "Smartdoctor problem" and found so many horror stories so I uninstalled it and my system is back to normal.

I found the solution; I need to connect the tiny 3 pin fan cable (on card) to the large 3 pin connector on motherboard so I can control fan speed via BIOS. The problem is one connector is larger & where can I buy a 10" 3 pin fan cable? I found this cable http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cab-07.html but I doubt one end will fit the card's tiny 3 pin connector. Another option is the Vantec iCEBERQ4 cooler if the fan cable is long enough to reach mb. U know how long is iCEBERQ4's fan cable?

Any comments or suggestions on how to reduce video card noise is appreciated. Thank you :)

webmal

Post by webmal » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:00 am

I'm offering a $20 reward (via Paypal) for information leading to the end of the VGA card noise. I'm not interested in wiring or soldering my own lead. Any takers?

kinetik

Post by kinetik » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:08 pm

what temps is your video card running at?

I've got the same model which smartdoctor reports stable temps (after extended use) of:
51oC (High fan setting)
up to 56oC (Low fan setting)

I'm still looking for an ideal solution as this is by far the noisiest and most annoying component on my (2 month old) pc. I'd naively assumed the thing would be about the same volume as my old p2 300? Teach me for skimping on the research..

Anyway - if you're happy with temps of 63oC - thats what I'm getting by just disconnecting the fan and running an undervolted 80mm fan above it (on one of those zalman fan brackets).

One night soon I'm going to unscrew the asus fan off the heatsink as I suspect this will drop the temps down further by exposing more of the heatsink to the airflow.

Personally - the only after market option I have at the moment (bloody FX cards), I think is the Zalman heatpipe options and the temps I've heard of those things running fanless on similar cards - I'm doing better with my option. Further - from my point of view, that's a hell of a lot of weight on an agp card..

..j

spacey

Post by spacey » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:34 pm

odd, i have the asus v9520 video suite card, bought for its dual dvi, and i run it with the fan disabled by using smart doctor. i don't overclock though, and i do use smart doctor to turn it on if i'm playing games, but only then. could be, that my case is a sonata so its probably much cooler than the shuttle.