ARM Systems StealthPCs - Ask Steve

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Re: UK?

Post by Stevo@ARM » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:50 pm

Steve___ wrote:Does ARM have a distributor in the UK? Thanks
I wish we did Steve___. I've had several inquiries from folks in the UK about our products. Unfortunatley the logistics of shipping and supporting systems overseas make that a bit more than we are currently ready to tackle. Our US sales are on a strong upward slope and that has been occupying most of our management bandwidth at the moment.

Roy and I have set very high standards for our product quality and customer service & support. So we won't start shipping outside the US (and some shipments to Canada) in any real numbers until we can give our UK friends a high degree of support.

That said, we have shipped our systems internationaly before, but there are limitations in the process and how the product is serviced that those customers felt they could deal with under the circumstances.

My business partner Roy handles most of the international transactions. So, feel free to email us at [email protected] if you want to get more information about how to do that. Your mail will get forwarded on to him.

Best Regards,
Stevo

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:01 pm

Wow!

I hope y'all whup Dell

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:15 pm

Trip wrote:Wow!

I hope y'all whup Dell
Did you happen to notice the date on that article?

I didn't until I got to the specs of their $599 system:
Santa Rosa Press-Democrat wrote:The computer, based on a Windows 98 operating system, features a 333MHz Pentium II processor, 32MB SDRAM, 4.3GB hard drive,
:)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:21 pm

Trip wrote:Wow!

I hope y'all whup Dell
That article is 4 1/2 years old. Still, I DO hope they whup Dell's butt. My only disappointment is that they don't sell their individual parts ARM parts. If you guys sold your modified power supplies, I would buy one as soon as I could afford to.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:27 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: Did you happen to notice the date on that article?
dag, it's 2004 now? - guess that IS an old article :lol:

sthayashi,

did you notice ARM's kits?

Joe DeFuria purchased one

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:14 pm

Trip wrote:sthayashi,

did you notice ARM's kits?

Joe DeFuria purchased one
Yes I have. And it's a pretty good solution, but not for me. I don't really care for the look of the Evercase and I'm pretty happy with the case I have now. I'm also still trying to figure out what to do with my beat-up old Coolermaster case.

As you can see by my sig, power supplies are the bane of my existence in terms of noise, and that's all I need to silence off my computer at this point. I trust ARM to make a good quiet power supply even quieter and I know that they stand by their work, which is better than what I can say for myself.

It's all moot though, because even if ARM were selling their modded power supplies for... say $120, that cash isn't in the cards for me right now.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:20 pm

sthayashi wrote:As you can see by my sig, power supplies are the bane of my existence in terms of noise, and that's all I need to silence off my computer at this point. I trust ARM to make a good quiet power supply even quieter and I know that they stand by their work, which is better than what I can say for myself.
You may also want to consider MikeC's modded PSU's. He provides no warranty, but at least you know his mod-work is trustworthy.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:55 pm

SometimesWarrior wrote:You may also want to consider MikeC's modded PSU's. He provides no warranty, but at least you know his mod-work is trustworthy.
I've seen that and I'm seriously considering it when I get around to having the cash for it (assuming he'll have any left by the time I DO have cash).

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:18 pm

Is: "590g 100% Copper Triple HeatPipe Ultra Performance HeatSink modified with a low noise fan, RamAIR induction, & user adjustable RPM module" a thermalright SP-94 with an L1A, intake duct, and Zalman fan controller? :lol:

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:13 am

Trip wrote:Is: "590g 100% Copper Triple HeatPipe Ultra Performance HeatSink modified with a low noise fan, RamAIR induction, & user adjustable RPM module" a thermalright SP-94 with an L1A, intake duct, and Zalman fan controller? :lol:
Damn, at first I thought that You were just kidding! :lol:

See it yourself.

Cheers,

Jan

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:04 am

Trip wrote:Is: "590g 100% Copper Triple HeatPipe Ultra Performance HeatSink modified with a low noise fan, RamAIR induction, & user adjustable RPM module" a thermalright SP-94 with an L1A, intake duct, and Zalman fan controller? :lol:
Trip, you forgot the four leaf clover glued to the side of each RamAIR duct, the fine-ground silver horse-shoe dust in the thermal compound, and the fact that our techs who build the StealthPC's all drink coffee made from fresh roasted perfectly ground giant-beanstalk beans :wink: :lol:

Stevo
----------------
ARM StealthPC's - They're Magically Delicious... er quiet.. yeah that's the ticket :wink:

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:58 pm

Just a heads up guys, I just started this thread under the SPCR Forum - Deals, Vendors & Classifieds for those that are interested:

:arrow: ARM Systems: StealthPCs @ Much Lower Prices + FREE Shipping!

However, feel free to keep the questions coming in this thread. :wink:

Stevo@ARM
------------------
StealthPC's were born to FOLD!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:42 pm

Stevo wrote:Trip, you forgot the four leaf clover glued to the side of each RamAIR duct, the fine-ground silver horse-shoe dust in the thermal compound, and the fact that our techs who build the StealthPC's all drink coffee made from fresh roasted perfectly ground giant-beanstalk beans
:)

Actually, when I first read the description a few months ago, I thought you had done something similar by locating a better heatsink. Not that this is bad marketing on your part though - I doubt many people would know, or care to know, the difference between a thermalright and a coolermaster HS - your description is much more helpful than "SP-94 w/ L1A".

Jan Kivar, I saw that but STILL didn't make the connection till reading MikeC's review :roll:

Phoner
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Desktop models?

Post by Phoner » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:38 am

Stevo@ARM wrote:
Are there any other folks who are interested in a desktop model of our StealthPCs?

Besides using it as a home theater/media center PC, which is why we are considering doing one, do any of you want a desktop format StealthPC for more general use? There are design issues related to functionality and look and feel vs. expense that we have to keep in mind.
I have been dying to get my hands on such a thing. This is what I really want, and would happily pay for: Quiet desktop PC, small footprint (as small as ATX can get, or mATX is OK), ability to be used as a gaming PC as well, with a decent video card. It would need to be expandable, at least in terms of adding more hard drive capacity.

I would build my own, but most of the cases I find now are too big and/or have 60mm fans.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:30 am

Any advance info on the Prescott + 6800U capable upcoming box?

Also, being that IMHO Prescott is a POS benchmarkwise (all benchmarks prove it) and Northwood/EE/A64 are better in 99% of cases...

Are you planning a version with Athlon64 or with user selectable Intel CPU?

Which Intel socket will the system support 478 or LGA 775?

Is the mobo user selectable? If not, which chipset is used?

How about the PSU, rated for how much on each voltage rail?

How many and which size (ext/int) expansions slots?

Any possibility as to a release date (even quarter accuracy would be nice)?

Is the box innards (mobo, cpu and agp) user interchangeable to other parts? If so, what kind of general limitations apply? This is important as socket 476 and socket 754 are both pretty much dead-in-the water right now.

As you can see, I'm very interested :)

And If you can pull this off with really quiet and efficient cooling (i.e. not performing barely below the limit of thermal throttling or failure, but with headroom), then let me say you certainly have a winner (with some price reservations, of course).

friendly regards,
halcyon

shathal

Post by shathal » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:14 pm

Hmm - brings me to the interesting quiestion:

How *DOES* one cool a 6800 Ultra quietly? (Excluding the answer "don't use one" :)).

Sure am curious how ARM intend to do it... :).

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:32 pm

shathal wrote:Hmm - brings me to the interesting quiestion:

How *DOES* one cool a 6800 Ultra quietly? (Excluding the answer "don't use one" :)).

Sure am curious how ARM intend to do it... :).
Still working on the 'Secret Sauce' shathal :wink: But will give SPCR readers the 'Full Monty' once we get it all worked out. :lol:

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:36 pm

ARM Systems StealthPC News Update

I just updated this thread under the SPCR Forum - Deals, Vendors & Classifieds to point out that ARM AMD Athlon64 & Athlon64-FX StealthPC's are now available for those that are interested:

:arrow: ARM Systems: StealthPCs @ Much Lower Prices + FREE Shipping!

Stevo

calam63

Post by calam63 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:54 pm

i was wondering if anyone has asked where you guys get the blak trimmed evercase 4252's?

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:23 pm

calam63 wrote:i was wondering if anyone has asked where you guys get the blak trimmed evercase 4252's?
Hello calam63,

Many folks have asked the same question about the All Black Evercase 4252 cases. They are an exclusive OEM case color made special for ARM Systems.

Evercase manufactures the vast majority of its various case models for OEM System manufacturers. And as part of that arrangement, each OEM can select a case color or color + trim combination as an official exclusive if that color isn't already selected by another OEM. We selected the all-black combination, which reminded us of a stealthy NINJA warrior, or the F117A Stealth Figher, because we thought it best represented our StealthPC line. And we simply think it looks very cool too :wink:

All of our StealthPC's are all-black if the black case option in our online EZ-Configurator is selected, or if a black StealthPC DIY Foundation Kit is ordered.

I hope that helps take some of the mystery out of it for you calam63. And, as always, everyone is welcome to keep the questions coming. :D

Stevo

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:05 am

Is the same true for the Live-Drive from the Audigy's? I've not yet seen a black-bezel'ed Audigy Live-drive and wouldn't mind knowing if there can actually one be gotten ahold of in quantities of less than 1000 :).

Ta.

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:12 am

shathal wrote:Is the same true for the Live-Drive from the Audigy's? I've not yet seen a black-bezel'ed Audigy Live-drive and wouldn't mind knowing if there can actually one be gotten ahold of in quantities of less than 1000 :).

Ta.
Great question shathal,

I am not really sure if you can locate the black Live-Drive faceplate on the open market in general. However, I do know that we have to special order them for our All-Black Stealth systems from Creative Labs, because they do not normally come with the Sound Blaster Platinum Series of products. It may take some extra effort for our procurement department, and cost us a little more, but we take every possible step to ensure that our All-Black units have only black components installed. :wink:

Stevo

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:14 am

Thanks for the answer. :)

mcree

Post by mcree » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:29 am

Just noticed that the Stealth server has an option for a hot-swap drive cage. How noisy is that? If it's full of drives, does the sound just leak out the front?

Looking at the photo of the system, given that takes three 5.25" bays, there's still one left for an optical drive, right?

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:46 am

Hello mcree

The sound level is actually extremely good on the StealthServer with the hot swap SATA drives. Especially when using the Samsung spinpoint drives. And our P4 model now has genuine PCI-X 64-Bit 66MHz slots which enable the SATA RAID controller to deliver the full performance of the disk sub-system. :D

Yes, it's a few dB lounder than our StealthPC workstations; being a server we want a bit more airflow running through the system as extra insurance, and there is a bit more drive vibration than internally soft mounted drives. However, the net results are a server that is orders of magnitude quieter than a traditional server. Perfect for a traditional small business that does not have a sealed off dedicated server room or closet. However, overall average sound output from an ARM StealthServer @ 1 meter will range from 28 - 33dB depending on the configuration. Now, compare that to 65 - 85 for the industry typical conventional server and you get the picture. :wink:

In our experience, we have found that a lot of small businesses and even some medium size businesses deploying departmental servers, do not realize the level of continuos noise pollution the users will have to tolerate every day from a conventional noisy server when it shares the work space with the employees.

Also, yes there is still room left for 1 optical drive.

Cheers,
Stevo

andywww

Stealth DIY kit

Post by andywww » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:06 pm

Hiya!

Do you still sell the DIY kit? I am unable to clickthrough the "configure" link on the productpage.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Stealth DIY kit

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:36 am

andywww wrote:Hiya!

Do you still sell the DIY kit? I am unable to clickthrough the "configure" link on the productpage.
Give 'em a call at 800.276.9450 during business hours. They're right up noth of Petaluma.