suggestions for prebuilt desktop

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nimo11

suggestions for prebuilt desktop

Post by nimo11 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:49 am

first apologize for some mistakes in English.
planning to build a new desktop .
silence is very important to me.
my previous desktop was built with an help from this site and it had proof itself.
the plann is for this spec:
i5 8 generation cpu.
compatible mobo, with wi fi and Bluetooth options.
gpu on board.
250gb fastest ssd.
16 gb ram.
and of course power supply and case .
don't know yet what kind of cooling/fans.
generally i don't use very heavy applications.

the main items i would like to get suggestions is for the power supply, case and cooling .
thanks in advance.

Abula

Re: suggestions for prebuilt desktop

Post by Abula » Sat May 26, 2018 6:21 am

It would be useful to know where are you, not everything is available everywhere or even if it is, sometimes its not worth it price wise. Also a budget is good to set, there are very good components sometimes but

Im a little confused, you ask for "power supply, case and cooling", but you also ask for a prebuilt desktop.

If you want a prebuild, i would suggest to look into PUGET SYSTEMS, they usually use good brands of components and build it for you, in the past even has had SPCR editions builds, im sure you can contact them and they will suggest you accordingly to your budget and what you are trying to achieve in terms of quiet pc.

Now you you are building it, for the require parts

power supply
Seasonic is atm my gotto brand, they have lots of PSU to chose from, from Focus line that its somewhat accessible to the Ultra Titanium that its very expensive. Corsair and EVGA does really good PSU also. Which will depend on your budget and hardware needs.

case
This is more a personal choice, now a days there a lot of cases you can chose from that are really good and not that expensive. Cases from Fractal Design, like Define R6, Define C, are pretty good offering, but again really depends on your needs. Brands to look for, Lian Li, Coolermaster, Antec, Nanoxia, Phantek, Corsair, all have good cases.

cooling
CPU coolers like Scythe Mugen 5 / Ninja 5 / Kotetsu, Thermalright Macho RevB and True Spirit Power 140, offer very good performance (quiet and cooling) for the money. Now case fans, it depends, usually its recommeded you test the fans that come with it, and then decide if you wish to add more fans or change the included. There are tons of brands for fans, some that i always check what they are offering doing new builds are Noctua, Nexus, Scythe, Thermalright, Phantek.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:25 am

sorry, you are right.
it was my mistake to write prebulit . it is not what i meant.
i' m trying yo build the pc by choosing parts.
so maybe i should write this subject in another forum here?
i am in Israel.
usually they sell here most of the brands.
is there 1 or 2 models you can recommend let say fro the seasonic power supply?
right now i have in my pc an enermax eco 5000 w power supply.
what i like about my current antec p 182 case is that it have those flat filters in the front , you can remove and wash.
regarding cooling and fans it's a bit complicated since i cant try each of them and then decide.
i'll have to read or get suggestions.
what kind are the coolers you have mentioned?:" like Scythe Mugen 5 / Ninja 5 / Kotetsu, Thermalright Macho RevB and True Spirit Power 140".
are they passive? are they water?
my current pc use now scythe ninja II heat pipes on the cpu.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat May 26, 2018 8:27 pm

nimo11 wrote:is there 1 or 2 models you can recommend let say fro the seasonic power supply?
Cosair has a ton of good PSUs, HXi, AX, RMx. Seasonic has also a ton of good series, like Titanuim ultra, Platinum Prime, Focus. Evga has the supernovas in titanium, platinum, gold.

Now if you want to see some not so expensive PSU that are pretty good,
EVGA Supernova G2 Gold 550W
Corsair RM550x

There are better PSU, but both of the above will be quiet and perform well, again not sure what pricing you will get in israel or what would be a good buy in your country.
nimo11 wrote:what i like about my current antec p 182 case is that it have those flat filters in the front , you can remove and wash.
While your P182 is still today a good case and still able to hold todays hardware fine, there are newer cases that easier to work with, i personally like Fractal Design Define R6 and Define C as very good options for building around it for a quiet pc. Most of todays good cases do come with filters and in the case of factals are much easier to take out and clean.
nimo11 wrote:what kind are the coolers you have mentioned?:" like Scythe Mugen 5 / Ninja 5 / Kotetsu, Thermalright Macho RevB and True Spirit Power 140".
are they passive? are they water?
my current pc use now scythe ninja II heat pipes on the cpu.
They are like your Ninja II, just newer tower coolers, none is meant to be passive.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:16 pm

thank you.
i'll start to do some checks about availability and prices.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 am

please tell me what do you think abut this components.
it's a flexible list and i have not yet any final decision about any of them.
lets put aside the budget and cooling performance subject and concentrate only in the sonic one.
if someone have any better suggestions from sonic aspect, i'm open for changes.

case- Fractal Design Define R5 Black

cooling- NH-D15 - Noctua

power supply- Enermax
525W MODU82+ II Power Supply

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am

nimo11 wrote:case- Fractal Design Define R5 Black
If you use more than 2 mechancial hdds, then its a good choice. I would suggest to look into Define C which is a more compact atx that can still fit 2 mechanical hdds.
nimo11 wrote:cooling- NH-D15 - Noctua
Its a good cooler, i dont recommend it that much because its too expensive, but if you like it go for it. I would recommend you to check the S version (NH-D15S) which is asymetrical and allows not to overlap the first PCIe slots.
nimo11 wrote:power supply- Enermax
525W MODU82+ II Power Supply
This i dont like, 10 years ago yes, but today we are well past bronze, there are cheap offering on gold on most manufacturers, i would suggest to invest a little more into Cosair RM550x, Seasonic Focus 550, EVGA Supernova 550 G2 Gold, or Enermax is fine but try to see if they have a gold rated PSU.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:28 am

thank you abula, your remarks are very important to me.
i'm planning to use one ssd disc and one mechanical hard drive.

the Define C have several variations, with a window on the side, or blocked kind of like my antec p182.
which one do you recommend?
one of the advantages of the Define R5 is bigger fans( or maybe i'm wrong) which are usually quieter.
and what do you think about antec p 100 in sonic aspect compare to the Define C?

i agree with you about the d15,mostly because its size and difficulties to reach parts in the pc , it was one of my dilemas.
i understand that the S versions come with only one fun.
i believe it might be better in sonic , but will it be sufficient in the cooling area?
and what about the d14? i saw that you have recommended in previous post on the Noctua NH-U14S, so you constantly recommend on the S models with one fan?

i wrote about the enermax since i have one in my current pc and had good experience whith it, but yes, i bought it more then 8 years ago.
i am planning to buy gold or even platinum model.
do you have any preference between those you have mentioned: "Cosair RM550x, Seasonic Focus 550, EVGA Supernova 550 G2 Gold" ?

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:06 pm

p.s
saw some benchmark that shows very good sonic results from the bq Pure Base 600 case.
it also compared with the define c
what do you thunk about it?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2 ... t-but-warm

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:32 am

ABULA , is this us one of those you recommended?
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Power/RMx ... 9020091-EU
the difference in cost compere to the 550 w is negligible, so maybe i'll go for the 650 w.
i have now on my pc 550w with a less demanding Components.

btw, what do you think about semi passive psu?

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:55 pm

nimo11 wrote:ABULA , is this us one of those you recommended?
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Power/RMx ... 9020091-EU
the difference in cost compere to the 550 w is negligible, so maybe i'll go for the 650 w.
i have now on my pc 550w with a less demanding Components.
Yes thats the one that i recommend, and many others here in spcr do recommend it, its very good value, there are better PSU, but that to me its the best value for your money.
nimo11 wrote:btw, what do you think about semi passive psu?
All my Seasonic PSUs are semi passive, and been running for years, no issues at all, very quiet operation.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 am

sorry to bother again.
the corsair hm650/550x have something called 0 fan speed at low load.
is it also what you call semi passive?

i read very good results (efficiency and noise levels) from SeaSonic SSR-650TR Ultra psu.
it's a bit more expensive then the corsair hm650/550x, but if i'm o.k with that, would you say that this one is better in noise levels aspect, which is the most important subject to me.

can i trust those results with unbelievable AVG NOISE OUTPUT [DB(A)] of 9.98 db? the corsair 650 stands there with 13.11 and the 550 with 11.2
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?op ... 12&volts=1

btw what stands for the v2 in RM650x v2 , second version?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:15 am

nimo11 wrote:sorry to bother again.
the corsair hm650/550x have something called 0 fan speed at low load.
is it also what you call semi passive?
Most of the todays mid-high end PSU are like this, Corsair has a lot of different options, im not familiar with the HM. Seasonic also has this operation on their high end PSU.
nimo11 wrote:i read very good results (efficiency and noise levels) from SeaSonic SSR-650TR Ultra psu.
it's a bit more expensive then the corsair hm650/550x, but if i'm o.k with that, would you say that this one is better in noise levels aspect, which is the most important subject to me.
I own the previous verison (none ultra) and its to me the best PSU in the market, if you have the budget, i would go with it over any other.
nimo11 wrote:btw what stands for the v2 in RM650x v2 , second version?
I have no idea there was a v2.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:35 am

v2: Corsair updated the series this year. I've seen it referred to as RMx (2018) in reviews.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 am

CA_Steve wrote:v2: Corsair updated the series this year. I've seen it referred to as RMx (2018) in reviews.
i wonder how can you tell if it's ver. 2 when buying.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:36 am

have one more question about psu ( hope it's last one for this component).
i'm trying to decide between 550 or 650 w psu.
i have today 550w with less strong components.
since i'm looking for the most silent psu , i have a theory that those semi passive psu's, which start the fan only after some load percentage , will start it a bit later with higher watt psu.
is it right?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:53 am

nimo11 wrote:i wonder how can you tell if it's ver. 2 when buying.
The part numbers are different. But the easiest way to tell is that if the Corsair logo and the word 'CORSAIR' on the side of the unit are on one line it is a ver. 1. If the Corsair logo is above the word 'CORSAIR' it is a ver. 2.

This for example is the ver. 2 RM850x

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 am

lodestar wrote:
nimo11 wrote:i wonder how can you tell if it's ver. 2 when buying.
The part numbers are different. But the easiest way to tell is that if the Corsair logo and the word 'CORSAIR' on the side of the unit are on one line it is a ver. 1. If the Corsair logo is above the word 'CORSAIR' it is a ver. 2.

This for example is the ver. 2 RM850x

thanks

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:29 am

abula, or someone,
can you please recommend me on 2x8 gb 2666 or 3000 mhz ram memory sticks?
considering i may use kind of big coolers , one of the noktua i think.
btw i found that scythe coolers is not so common in my country.

do you think that lower cl will make some difference?

some of the stores have only 3000 mhz and not 2666.
will it make some issue workig with the 3000 on a h370 board?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:08 am

For memory, i recommend first decide the motherboard you will buy and the go into the website of your motherboard, go into support and search for the QVL List, which is memories that have been tested by the manufacturer of your motherboard, and will be less likely to have issues.

That said, a lot of people recommend to use Samsung B-Die memory, a brand that uses them is Gskill Trident, i have 3 kits from it and all have worked great on my 8700K/TR builds.

I stumble on a video from Puget Systems where they were talking about building a workstation, and they prefer green memory for it reliability and they dont think the gains of higher speed memory are worth the risk on stability, so i decided to try it out and work out fine, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2666 MHz DIMM Memory Module Kit (2 x 16GB) CT2K16G4DFD8266. Since you are going with H370 and you probably wont be able to use higher speed memory, then this could be an option. I do recommend though to buy from the QVL LIST, not all motherboards handle memory equally, i took a gamble and work out fine, but to avoid this is best to just go with QVL.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:38 pm

tank you abula, it was important tip you gave me.
there are lot of models that compatible.
do you see any argument to prefer 2666 mhz or 3000?
another question there are memory kits in the list that work with 1.35 v and others with 1.2v.
do you see any difference from heating aspect?

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:48 am

You need Z370 to use the higher RAM speeds as Abula stated. In your other thread, you mentioned no overclocking. Therefore just stick with Intel's native 2666 @ 1.2v on H370.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 am

yakuman wrote:You need Z370 to use the higher RAM speeds as Abula stated. In your other thread, you mentioned no overclocking. Therefore just stick with Intel's native 2666 @ 1.2v on H370.
yes, now i know it.
the main question was :
" there are memory kits in the list that work with 1.35 v and others with 1.2v.
do you see any difference from heating aspect?"
since there are 2666 kits with both the above voltage.

btw, there is any substantial info when the Z390 chips will be on the market ?

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 am

I don't know. I lost interest in future technology after all the years of researching and finally assembling my PC :mrgreen: . I don't like to upgrade unless the product has become dead or really obsolete. I do like to answer questions about existing tech though, like the fact that 1.35V of course produces more heat than 1.20V. It's probably much though, especially when DDR3 and older tech ran at 1.50V and higher voltages.