Passive cooled Geforce4 TI4200 in Aopen AX Cube?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaffeS

Passive cooled Geforce4 TI4200 in Aopen AX Cube?

Post by RaffeS » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:21 am

Hello!
I'm planning to buy a Aopen Cube EZ 65.
But I have some questions you might help me with.

I'm aiming at low cost, silence, and I want to be able to play some games like GTA, and edit some music.

I'm thinking of buying an Intel Celeron 2,6 Ghz 128 KB 400MHz, is this a good choise?

I also have a videocard, Geforce4 TI4200, 64 MB. It is passive cooled with the Zalman ZM80A-HP, and it's working great in my current machine. But will it work in the Cube?

The videcoard including the heatpipe-system is kind of big, I'm not sure if it will fit in the Cube. ( http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/zm80A-hp.htm )

as shown on this image;
http://www.motherboards.org/images/21/2 ... 8_p2_7.jpg

it seem to be very little space between the AGP-port and the case.
I don't care if the videocard blocks the PCI-port, it's the space between the card and the case that I'm worried about.

Any thoughts?

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:01 am

I'm pretty sure that it will not fit in a cube case. Those cases are rather small and barely fit stock heatsinks. Maybe you could run a Vantec IceBerq 4 pro with an in-line rheostat.

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:03 am

I think you might regret getting a Celeron if you have gaming in mind. You might be much better off with a P4 of the same speed. The games might not be playable at all with the Celeron. When I bought my last computer I bought a Celeron 1.7 as its first cpu. My daughter tried to play one of here racing games and it wouldn't. It ran in extreme slow motion. By comparison, the game will play on my current P4 3.0C that is underclocked to 1.5.

RaffeS

Post by RaffeS » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:12 am

PatrickBateman and Copper, thanx for your input!

I might have a second thought about the Celeron then. But the P4 is a bit more expensive :/

ktaek

Post by ktaek » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:30 pm

Nope the Zalman 80 VGA heatpipes definitely do not fit without cutting the case or leaving off the cover.

The Zalman 50 VGA heatpipes do fit, and they're considered good enough for NV 4000 series or ATI 9600 or below. But it will block out your PCI slot, and even if doesn't you should probably not use your PCI slot anyway to allow for some air circulation to the back heatsink.

You can see the space required for the card here