Hush ATX User Upgradeable?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RedDom

Hush ATX User Upgradeable?

Post by RedDom » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:59 am

I'm considering one of these, but I would like to buy it in its simplest form and upgrade some of the components (As I already have these).
Is it likely that I would be able to remove the CPU heatsink/pipe and swap a new CPU in ( e.g replace the 2.6 with a 2.8 ) swap out the graphics card, e.g swap a 9200 for a 9600 (no pro) switch out the Drive and replace it with a 2.5 inch fujitsu drive? CPU swap is less important, but i will definately want to swap the hard drive, as I would imagine that the noise of the 3.5'' they provide would be very noticeable over a complete lack of fans.

I realise that I would probably have to add components with similar thermal characteristics, to those supported by Hush, but I've no idea if it is easy to remove these components, especially those that have a heatpipe attached.

Anyone have any experience of this machine, I cant seem to find any reviews of it anywhere in English

thanks
RD

Precarious

Re: Hush ATX User Upgradeable?

Post by Precarious » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:48 am

When you swap a 9200 for a 9600 I don't think you are swapping components with similar thermal characteristic :)

RedDom

Post by RedDom » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:20 am

I guess what i meant was, components with similar thermal characteristics to those that you can order it with. They have an option to get a 9600, 9600 pro or 9800 AIW se. its just cheaper if i can order with the default 9200 and swap it with a card i already have to match a more expensive configuration.

RD

canned polar bear

Post by canned polar bear » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:51 am

i just got my Hush ATX and it had a AIW 9800SE installed in it. the problem with swapping it out (that was my plan in the beginning) is that it's attached to a heatpipe so it's not that simple. i don't know if the other videocards they offer as options are also hooked up to the heatpipe, depending on how much heat they generate i imagine they are.

since it came with a free PCI slot i plugged in my hauppauge pvr250 and evrything seems to be woring just fine.

normally i think it should be possible to replace the 3'5" drive with a 2'5" drive or two (i already swapped the existing HD with an other one on which i already had all the software installed), i'm planning on doing that because current the HD is the loudest thing in the case.

let me know if you have any question since i have the machine here and am using it in my living room.

RedDom

Post by RedDom » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:30 am

I thought that might be the case, i guess I'll just have to order it with the right card. Its nice the drive can be swapped, if that is going to be the noisiest thing. What CPU do you have, and how hot does it all get?

thx

RD

canned polar bear

Post by canned polar bear » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:59 am

after letting it run overnight (room temp isn't very high though):
HD 47C
CPU (2GHz Celeron) 34C
System 44C

the only thing which has me slightly worried is the HD temp. the CPU load isn't very high since the pvr250 handles the video encoding. most of the heat generated seems to be coming from the videocard and HD since the side on which they're attached to the case is noticeably warmer than the CPU side.

i have to say, so far i really like this machine after the modified shuttle i was using. the only problems i've had so far i that they didn't include a tool to unscrew the cover (special screws) and on one side the holes through which the screws go don't seem to be properly aligned with the case holes (if that makes any sense).