how quiet were HP vectra desktop computers?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jpsa

how quiet were HP vectra desktop computers?

Post by jpsa » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:12 pm

I had a 550MHz p3 computer come years ago, it was a HP vectra something. I remember that I almost couldn't hear this computer, it had only 1 fan, the psu fan blowing air inside the system. How quiet were these system? Compared to my rig at the time anything was silent! I had a p3 450 oc to 600MHz, screaming cpu fan and case fan :P

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat May 01, 2004 6:23 am

The vectra *I* was using at work was noisy - mainly due to ill-fitting case. The ill-fit due to all the bashes and kicks I had delivered it. Vectra line was horribly designed, had a lousy PSU, worst-ever memory timings, AND frequent lockups - i think due to heat - and network failures, etc, etc. Finally the company blacklisted HP

They were quiet though, but not that quiet. That single fan output a lot of airflow noise.

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat May 01, 2004 7:17 am

Mine's sort of OK-ish (P3 1GHz - to be replaced with my current project P4 3.4 Ghz Prescott). Since it was a gift, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Obviously, the same day that I received it the following happened:
- Reformat of HD.
- Replacing of Graphics card
- Replacing memory (more, faster)
- Replacing HD's. (shoddy 30 GB drive - hah).

It's mainly quiet-ish due to only having one fan (on the CPU), the other sound comes from my HD's, which are actually the loudest source of noise from the system.

Whence does the question come, if I may inquire? :)

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sat May 01, 2004 9:02 am

My personal opinion is that the consumer oriented HP pc's are garbage. We've had a few of these at the office and they're junk.

A while back, we had a win98 HP box go south on us, primarily from age and, well, win98. I decided to change the hd and put w2k on it, but, no go. Hmm. Went to the hp web site and it it has some vague commentary about "we recommend that you use win98 on this box." Updated the bios and even stood on one foot while trying to get win2k loaded - still no go.

Now for the fun part. EM hp and they write back "While some users may want to install win2k on this box, we recommend that you stick with win98." At the tail end of the message is about an entire page of disclaimers. I write back "What does it take to make win2k work on this box?" "That's the question."

Anyway, I never did get a straight answer from them and later discovered that there was some kind of bios issue that made it impossible to run win2k. Naturally, they were't going to update the bios for an out of production box.

Because of this and a few other goofy deals with hp products and customer service, I crossed hp off the list.

M

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat May 01, 2004 9:44 am

Yep - we heard that too.

XP works fine though :).